Quantcast

Lights cause injuries at Scottish pub

March 13, 2009

Workers and customers of a Scottish pub said they suffered sunstroke and other ailments after a manager installed light bulbs from a tanning machine.

Locals said manager Emma McLean at The Pub In The Square in Buckie, Scotland, mistakenly used high-powered ultraviolet tubes when she replaced the blue strip lights behind the bar, The Daily Record reported Friday.

Morgan Smith, a bartender, suffered sever burns to his neck as a result of exposure to the lights, his sister said.

He was really badly burnt and had sunstroke, Smith’s sister said. He was all dizzy and couldn’t see because of the brightness of the lights.

His neck started peeling and was in a right state, she said. Nobody could believe he got sunstroke from standing behind a bar. The lamps are only supposed to be used for a few minutes at a time. No one had any idea they were being cooked until staff began to complain of dizziness.

Residents said some of the injured customers and workers have been making rumblings about legal action against the bar.

I’ve been told that there are going to be a few claims for compensation, one local said.


Source: upi



comments powered by Disqus