April 2, 2009

Man coughs up nail, doctors stunned

Doctors at a Colorado clinic said a nail coughed up by a patient may have been lodged up the man's nose for 30 years.

The Old Colorado City family clinic said patient Prax Sanchez arrived complaining of a sharp pain in his face under his right eye, KKTV, Colorado Springs, Colo., reported Thursday.

Doctors and staff at the clinic said they were shocked when, after a magnetic resonance imaging test, Sanchez began coughing and a 1-inch nail fell out of his nose.

To us, he's a medical miracle. It's amazing. We've never seen anything like this, medical receptionist Cheryl Paterson said.

Doctors said the nail may have been lodged in Sanchez's nose for up to 30 years.

Once it's in the nasal cavity like that, a little membrane forms around it and it becomes a foreign object, one doctor said.

Sanchez told the television station is didn't know how the nail got into his nose.