Perfume set off gas leak worries
Texas firefighters said a suspected gas leak that sent 34 people to hospitals turned out to be caused by a spray of perfume and people’s imaginations.
Lt. Kent Worley, a Fort Worth Fire Department spokesman, said two employees
reported some dizziness in close association with someone spraying on some perfume Wednesday. A supervisor made an announcement
over the building’s PA system saying that anyone feeling these symptoms should exit the building to an outside location, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported Thursday.
Worley said many reported the symptoms as a result of
psychosomatic behavior, which medical experts often refer to as
contagious fear, tied to the mistaken belief that a gas leak was to blame.
The building was declared safe by a hazardous materials team and more than a thousand people went back to work in the building.