Oddities News Archive - October 29, 2008
Georgia's Zoo Atlanta has announced the death of a pregnant 26-year-old African elephant. The zoo said the elephant, Dottie, died Monday during the third trimester of her first pregnancy, WSB-TV in Atlanta reported Tuesday.
Word of the Day
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.
'Siliqua' comes from a Latin word meaning 'a pod.'