Oddities News Archive - August 25, 2008
By STACY ST CLAIR By Stacy St. Clair Chicago Tribune CHICAGO A photo that started with a little Flickr has turned a four- eared cat from Downers Grove, Ill., into an instant Internet celebrity.
By Associated Press ROME -- An Italian priest and theologian said Sunday he is organizing an online beauty pageant for nuns to give them more visibility within the Catholic Church and to fight the stereotype that they are all old and dour.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.