Oddities News Archive - August 03, 2008
NEWS IN BRIEF :: NEW YORK A 12-year-old girl who fell into a chimney on her New York rooftop and plummeted down the flue for 14 storeys survived almost unscathed when she landed in a pile of soot. Grace Bergere was recovering in hospital yesterday with an injured hip.
FLAT ROCK, Mich. (AP) -- Bounce, bounce, bounce ... for 24 hours. That was what eight boys in Michigan did this week in an effort to set a world record. The boys began the attempt Friday morning at the Bounce-a-Lot entertainment center southwest of Detroit in Flat Rock.
NEW YORK (AP) -- A 12-year-old girl just wanted to show her cousin the view from her family's Manhattan rooftop. Instead, she fell into a chimney and plummeted down the flue for 14 stories, emerging nearly unscathed to tell her story after landing in a pile of furnace soot.
SUTTON ISLAND, Maine (AP) -- The Postal Service has ended a long tradition in which mail delivered to Maine's small offshore Sutton Island by a private ferry service was left in a specially marked trash can on the island's dock.
- The act of burning, scorching, or heating to dryness; the state or being thus heated or dried.
- In medicine, cauterization.