Sci-Fi & Gaming News Archive - July 14, 2006
The creators of "South Park" lambasted Comedy Central Thursday for removing an episode that lampooned Scientology and Tom Cruise from the network's repeat schedule and for blanking out the image of Muhammad during another episode.
Given the intensity with which the media scrutinize movie ticket sales, last weekend's record $136 million opening of Walt Disney Pictures' "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" was reported as if it were manna in a box office desert.
Overall U.S. video game sales jumped 25 percent in June to $844.5 million, as Nintendo Co. Ltd's dual-screen portable players and THQ Inc.'s "Cars" video game sold well, while Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 shortages dissolved, a market research firm said on Thursday.
When the authorized sequel to J.M. Barrie's children's classic "Peter Pan" is published in October, it will not be the only adaptation of the original vying for attention in book stores.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.