Dear Michelle Obama: I Love Redwoods Art Contest For Kids
Save the Redwoods League Announces 2011 Art Contest Winners
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) November 18, 2011
Twelve children from throughout the United States won honors and more today in the Save the Redwoods League Dear Michelle Obama: I Love Redwoods Art Contest. Save the Redwoods League is the only nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting ancient redwood forests throughout their natural range. The LeagueÃ¢s contest was designed to raise awareness of and encourage visits to redwood forests in California by asking students across the country to create and submit postcards of the redwoods. The League received over 1,400 entries.
K-12 students created postcards illustrating how they were inspired by redwood forests. On the back side of the card, students wrote a note to First Lady Michelle Obama describing in their own words why she should care about the redwoods.
Ã¢Å“We are thrilled by the overwhelming response we received from students across the nation, and the interest from young artists helping to protect redwood forests,Ã¢ said Jennifer Benito, outreach director of Save the Redwoods League.
The League encourages more students to participate in the I Love Redwoods project by sending an ecard to the First Lady with a message urging her to protect these special places. Send ecards at SaveTheRedwoods.org/ArtContest
About the I Love Redwoods Contest
Students who participated in the I Love Redwoods contest were divided into the following three grade categories: K-3, 4-8 and 9-12. To view winning entries, please visit the LeagueÃ¢s website, SaveTheRedwoods.org/ArtContest. All postcards will be mailed to the first lady beginning November 21, 2011.
The Dear Michelle Obama: I Love Redwoods contest Art Contest Winners
- First Place: Andrew, Sharon Elementary, Suwanee, Georgia
- Second Place: Thomas, Clara Reynolds Elementary, Newalla, Oklahoma
- Third Place: Vinay, Garden Gate Elementary, Cupertino, California
- Honorable Mention: Armando, Reagan Elementary, Lindsay, California
- First Place: Aniketh, Dilworth Elementary, San Jose, California
- Second Place: Sasini, Montgomery Village Middle School, Montgomery Village, Maryland
- Third Place: Timothy, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Honorable Mention: Kimberly, Irving Middle School, Los, Angeles, California
- First Place: Christine, Lowell High School, San Francisco, California
- Second Place: Amber, Dougherty Valley High School, San Ramon, California
- Third Place: David, Lambert High School, Suwanee, Georgia
- Honorable Mention: Yu Bi, Lowell High School, San Francisco, California
Contest prizes were generously donated by Osprey Packs, Inc., Muir Woods National Monument and California Lithographers
About Save the Redwoods League
Walk through a redwood forestÃ¢”home of the tallest, largest, and some of the oldest living beings on EarthÃ¢”and you can’t help but feel an overwhelming sense of awe and peace among these magnificent giants. Since 1918, Save the Redwoods League has led the effort to protect the coast redwoods and giant sequoias for all to experience and enjoy. To date the League has completed the purchase of more than 189,000 acres of redwood forest and associated land. For more information, please visit SaveTheRedwoods.org, or to receive monthly email updates, sign up at SaveTheRedwoods.org.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/11/prweb8972324.htm