EXCLUSIVE LIVE STREAM: FORA.tv to Broadcast “The Female In Evolution” Symposium Presented by The California Academy of Sciences and The Leakey Foundation
FORA.tv to Broadcast “The Female In Evolution” Symposium Presented by The California Academy of Sciences and The Leakey Foundation
San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) April 27, 2012
WHAT: FORA.tv, the leading online destination for video programs from the world´s best conferences and events, will broadcast “The Female In Evolution” Symposium on Saturday, April 28th. Presented by The California Academy of Sciences and The Leakey Foundation, the day-long symposium will bring together leading scientists who will examine the topic in the context of three research areas funded by The Leakey Foundation – Paleoanthropology, Behavioral and Hunter-gatherers – and will integrate life history, behavior, anatomy, development, and cultural identity of females.
WHEN: Saturday, April 28th from 9 am PST to 4 pm PST
WHERE: The debate will be streamed live at FORA.tv here. Following the live event, FORA.tv will offer the debate as an on-demand program.
- Morning keynote by pioneering anthropologist Adrienne Zihlman, whose critique of the “Man the Hunter” model in the 1970s opened the way for researchers to incorporate the role of females in hominid biological evolution and in human cultural development, an approach that has since become mainstream.
- The Paleoanthropology session will feature an overview lecture by Daniel Lieberman and a case study lecture by Dean Falk on “The Role of Prehistoric Mothers in the Evolution of Language”.
- The Behavioral session will consist of an overview lecture by Joan Silk, and Dorothy Cheney will discuss “Primate Social Cognition” for the case study lecture.
- Afternoon keynote by Robert Martin discussing “The Evolution of Mothering”.
- The Hunter-forager session will have an overview lecture by Kristen Hawkes, and a case study by Rebecca Bliege Bird on the role of women amongst Australia´s Aboriginal peoples.
FORA.tv is the leading online destination for video programs from the world’s best conferences and events. With more than 10,000 free and fee-based videos and its iPad “Conference Channel” app, FORA.tv has the web’s largest collection of programs that feature the people, issues, and ideas changing the world. FORA.tv helps hundreds of organizations including the Aspen Institute, the Economist, the New York Public Library, and Wired expand the audience for their events. FORA.tv has been named a Top 50 Web Site by TIME, and a Top Education Site by The Telegraph. FORA.tv is funded by a select group of investors led by William R. Hearst III and is based in San Francisco. For more information, visit http://fora.tv.
ABOUT THE LEAKEY FOUNDATION
Founded in 1968, The Leakey Foundation´s mission is to increase scientific knowledge, education, and public understanding of human origins, evolution, behavior, and survival. The Foundation awards an average of $600,000, annually in general research grants, through two granting sessions. http://www.leakeyfoundation.org
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
The California Academy of Sciences is home to Steinhart Aquarium, Morrison Planetarium, Kimball Natural History Museum, and world-class research and education programs–all under one living roof. The Academy´s mission is to explore, explain and protect the natural world. Visit http://www.calacademy.org or call (415) 379-8000 for more information.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/4/prweb9451651.htm