The Mount Sinai Kravis Children’s Hospital Gains in New U.S. News & World Report Pediatric Rankings
The Mount Sinai Kravis Children´s Hospital saw significant gains in the latest U.S. News & World Report pediatric rankings, which placed it among the country´s best children´s hospitals in six of the ten pediatric specialties measured in the 2012-13 edition of the annual “Best Children´s Hospitals” report.
New York, NY (PRWEB) June 05, 2012
The Mount Sinai Kravis Children´s Hospital saw significant gains in the latest U.S. News & World Report pediatric rankings, which placed it among the country´s best children´s hospitals in six of the ten pediatric specialties measured in the 2012-13 edition of the annual “Best Children´s Hospitals” report. The six specialties are: gastroenterology (ranked #21 nationally), diabetes and endocrinology (#23), urology (#23), cancer (#26), pulmonology (#31), and nephrology (#36).
“We are very pleased with the news of the Kravis Children´s Hospital rankings,” said Kenneth L. Davis, MD, President and CEO of The Mount Sinai Medical Center. “It is a testament to the accomplishments of our Department of Pediatrics is doing, as well as the vision and direction of our division chiefs.”
The rankings reflect not only double-digit gains within specialties, but also first-time rankings in two new areas — cancer and urology — placing these specialties within the top 26 pediatric programs in the United States.
“Mount Sinai has made great strides in becoming one of the nation´s leaders in providing quality health care to pediatric patients across all specialty areas,” said Wayne Keathley, President and Chief Operating Officer, The Mount Sinai Hospital. “This year, under the leadership of Dr. Lisa Satlin, Kravis Children´s Hospital significantly increased its rankings in gastroenterology, diabetes and endocrinology, and pulmonology and was ranked for the first time in cancer, and urology. Accomplishments such as these are what propel us forward in improving our patient care and outcomes.”
U.S. News surveyed 178 pediatric centers across the nation. The rankings recognize the top 50 children´s hospitals in the 10 specialty areas of cancer, cardiology and heart surgery, diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology, neonatology, nephrology, neurology and neurosurgery, orthopedics, pulmonology, and urology. The rankings also provide quality-related information, including survival rates, adequacy of nurse staffing, procedure volume, and more. The rankings have put an increasing emphasis on data that directly reflect hospitals´ performance over the opinions of physicians. The hospital survey made up 75 percent of the rankings. A separate reputational survey in which 1,500 pediatric specialists–150 in each specialty–were asked where they would send the sickest children in their specialty, made up the remaining 25 percent.
“The Kravis Children´s Hospital has improved the overall health of children in our community, region, and nation and we will continue to build on our long and distinguished tradition of excellence in innovative patient care, community involvement, education, and research,” said Lisa Satlin, MD, Chair of the Department of Pediatrics. “We will continue our commitment to exceptional comprehensive care and are extremely proud to be commended by our peers.”
For the full rankings and methodology, visit http://www.usnews.com/childrenshospitals.
About The Mount Sinai Medical Center
The Mount Sinai Medical Center encompasses both The Mount Sinai Hospital and Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Established in 1968, Mount Sinai School of Medicine is one of the leading medical schools in the United States. The Medical School is noted for innovation in education, biomedical research, clinical care delivery, and local and global community service. It has more than 3,400 faculty in 32 departments and 14 research institutes, and ranks among the top 20 medical schools both in National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding and by U.S. News & World Report.
The Mount Sinai Hospital, founded in 1852, is a 1,171-bed tertiary- and quaternary-care teaching facility and one of the nation´s oldest, largest and most-respected voluntary hospitals. In 2011, U.S. News & World Report ranked The Mount Sinai Hospital 16th on its elite Honor Roll of the nation´s top hospitals based on reputation, safety, and other patient-care factors. Of the top 20 hospitals in the United States, Mount Sinai is one of 12 integrated academic medical centers whose medical school ranks among the top 20 in NIH funding and US News & World Report and whose hospital is on the US News & World Report Honor Roll. Nearly 60,000 people were treated at Mount Sinai as inpatients last year, and approximately 560,000 outpatient visits took place.
For more information, visit http://www.mountsinai.org/.
# # #
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2012/6/prweb9575657.htm