Sisters Sue Macomb County Restaurant and Meat Supplier in Salmonella Lawsuit Filed by Marler Clark
Marler Clark represents 2 sisters who allege they became ill with Salmonella infections after eating raw kibbeh at a Macomb County restaurant in a lawsuit against the restaurant and its meat suppliers.
Detroit, MI (PRWEB) February 08, 2013
Two Michigan-based meat suppliers and a restaurant were named as defendants in a Salmonella lawsuit brought by Seattle-based Marler Clark and Michigan-based attorney Michael Heilmann on Monday. The lawsuit (Macomb County Case No. 13-478-NO) was filed in Macomb County Circuit Court on behalf of Macomb County residents Mary Ann Thomas and Sarah Joseph–two of nine Michigan residents who were part of a 16-person multi-state Salmonella outbreak linked to ground beef in December. Defendants named in the lawsuit are Ike´s Restaurant, Jouni Meat and Gab Halal Foods.
According to the complaint, Mary Ann Thomas and Sarah Joseph consumed raw beef kibbeh purchased from Ike´s Restaurant on December 8, 2012. Both believed the kibbeh had been prepared with ground lamb rather than ground beef. Both women allege that they fell ill with gastrointestinal illness on December 11, with symptoms worsening over the next several days. On December 15, Ms. Joseph´s husband rushed to her the hospital, while Ms. Thomas called an ambulance for help. According to court documents, both women were admitted for treatment and were hospitalized for seven days. The complaint states that they continued to suffer fatigue, weakness and ongoing gastrointestinal problems for weeks, resulting in substantial time missed at work due to their illnesses, hospitalizations, and recoveries. It further states that stool samples submitted during their hospitalizations returned positive for a strain of Salmonella indistinguishable from a strain isolated from other Salmonella case-patients across the country who were part of an outbreak linked to beef produced by Jouni Meat and Gab Halal Foods.
Jouni Meats and Gab Halal Foods both initiated ground beef recalls in late January, 2013 after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that the Salmonella outbreak could be traced to the companies´ products. Residents of Arizona (1), Illinois (2), Iowa (1), Michigan (9) and Wisconsin (3) all became ill after eating the contaminated meat, including 5 others who purchased raw beef kibbeh from Ike´s Restaurant.
BACKGROUND: Marler Clark has represented thousands of victims of Salmonella and other foodborne illness outbreaks, including E. coli, Salmonella and norovirus outbreaks in Michigan. The firm has recovered over $600,000,000 on behalf of victims across the nation and is the only law firm in the nation with a practice dedicated exclusively to representing victims of foodborne illness.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2013/2/prweb10409942.htm