NJIT Announces Online Customizable Graduate Certificate in Sustainability Policy and Environmental Management
A High Income and In-Demand STEM Credential
Newark, New Jersey (PRWEB) July 23, 2013
NJIT announces online customizable Graduate Certificate in Sustainability Policy and Environmental Management. The 12-credit graduate certificate examines important environmental issues such as: resource scarcity, freshwater availability and major environmental challenges. Students customize their study plan by choosing 4 of 7 courses covering the legal, economic, development, global and industrial aspects of sustainability. The program is intended for environmental professionals, scientists, engineers, and corporate managers with diverse academic backgrounds in physical and biological science, social science, and management who are seeking a better future. Professionals currently working in the field and career changers thinking about transitioning into the growing "green economy" will benefit from the program.
The faculty who teach the Online Graduate Certificate in Sustainability Policy and Environmental Management are internationally recognized experts in their respective fields and integrate their wide-ranging experience into the courses that they teach. The program can be completed exclusively on an online basis if preferred.
NJIT Students will learn the following:
- The scientific basis of contemporary global-scale environmental problems and the institutional responses that have evolved to manage them.
- The political economy of sustainable development including the international politics of sustainability, the social scientific dimensions of sustainability, and the tools and techniques for measuring sustainability, as well as emergent developments in ecological economics and the "new economics" of sustainability.
- The complex and dynamic interactions that characterize the relationship between the economy and the environment from biological, economic, and institutional perspectives and the various strategies for solving conflicts in resource management and pollution control including risk assessment, cost-benefit analysis, and cost-effectiveness analysis.
- The key elements of the legal system that has evolved to control air, water, and solid waste pollution by federal, state, and local governments and the international agreements created to manage global environmental issues.
- The ways in which language, media, and symbols influence our perceptions of the environment, and how communication affects our understanding of the cultural, political, and scientific contexts of decision-making processes.
- The fundamental tenets of industrial ecology including material flow analysis, life cycle and exergy analysis, product/process engineering from a systems perspective, carbon/ecological footprint techniques, demanufacturing systems, and design for environment.
Information on the Online Graduate Certificate in Sustainability Policy and Environmental Management:
- 12 graduate credits – four classes
- One year to complete (on average)
- Can be studied the following ways: Online, Partially Online, or Classroom.
- The graduate certificate is a stand-alone credential that can lead to a corresponding 30-credit NJIT Master's degree in Environmental Policy Studies.
- Financial Assistance is available for students who study part-time (6 credits or more). U.S. income tax education credits can be applied as well.
NJIT, New Jersey's science and technology university, enrolls more than 9,944 students pursuing bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees in 120 programs. The university consists of six colleges: Newark College of Engineering, College of Architecture and Design, College of Science and Liberal Arts, School of Management, College of Computing Sciences and Albert Dorman Honors College. U.S. News & World Report’s 2012 Annual Guide to America's Best Colleges ranked NJIT in the top tier of national research universities. NJIT is internationally recognized for being at the edge in knowledge in architecture, applied mathematics, wireless communications and networking, solar physics, advanced engineered particulate materials, nanotechnology, neural engineering and e-learning. Many courses and certificate programs, as well as graduate degrees, are available online through the Division of Continuing Professional Education.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10942613.htm