Leaders from UPS, Penn State, Gartner, SAS, U.S. Army, Harvard Business School, Teradata, Accenture, Disney, University of Alberta and Schneider National Join INFORMS Analytics Certification Board
Board chartered with promoting professional certification to improve the scientific process of transforming big data into insight for better decision making.
Catonsville, MD (PRWEB) August 06, 2013
The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS®) – the largest professional society in the world for professionals in the fields of analytics, operations research (O.R.) and management science – today announced the appointment of a number of reputable industry professionals to its global Analytics Certification Board (ACB). ACB is chartered with guiding and overseeing the Certified Analytics Professional (CAP®) program for the Institute and advancing the use of analytics by setting agreed upon consensus standards for the profession.
Gartner estimates that by 2015, 4.4 million IT jobs globally will be created to support big data, generating 1.9 million jobs in the U.S. Yet, Gartner also predicts only one-third of the IT jobs will be filled.* INFORMS is working diligently to ensure the growth and validity of analytics professionals and the industry at large, providing the first of its kind, rigorous analytics certification that advances career paths, demonstrates commitment to the field, and helps to ensure businesses can more easily identify and develop qualified analytics professionals to run their big data initiatives.
“INFORMS is recognized around the world for its outstanding programs, training, events and other member resources, and is now leading the way with its CAP program,” said Anne G. Robinson, director of supply chain strategy and analytics for Verizon Wireless and President of INFORMS. “The international perspective and high level of analytics expertise being brought to the table through our newly appointed Global Analytics Certification board will be invaluable as we continue to develop opportunities that further the principles and practice of analytics.”
Newly appointed INFORMS ACB members include:
- Bill Franks – Chief Analytics Officer for Teradata’s Global Alliance programs
- Jack Levis – Director of Process Management at UPS and Vice President of Practice Activities at INFORMS
- Jeanne G. Harris – Executive Research Fellow at Accenture and co-author of "Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning" (Harvard Business School Press)
- Kathy Kilmer – Director of Sales Channel and Planning and Analysis, The Walt Disney Company
- Lisa Kart – Research Director at Gartner and member of INFORMS
- Polly Mitchell-Guthrie – Lead Strategist and Customer Liaison, SAS Institute
- Paul Messinger – Associate Professor of Marketing, University of Alberta School of Business and Vice President, Section and Societies for INFORMS
- Scott Nestler – U.S. Army officer with 20+ years of experience in military decision making, operations research (OR), management science, and risk analysis
- Terry Harrison – Professor of Supply Chain and Information Systems, Earl P. Strong Executive Education Professor in Business at Penn State University and INFORMS Past President
- Tom Davenport – President's Distinguished Professor in Management and Information Technology at Babson College and Visiting Professor at the Harvard Business School; co-founder and research director of the International Institute for Analytics, and senior advisor to Deloitte Analytics
- Zahir Balaporia – Director, Intermodal Operations, Schneider National; President of INFORMS Analytics Section
*Gartner Press Release, “Gartner Says Big Data Creates Big Jobs: 4.4 Million IT Jobs Globally to Support Big Data By 2015”, October 22, 2012. http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2207915
About INFORMS CAP®
First administered in the spring of 2013, the INFORMS Certified Analytic Professional (CAP) program was created by subject matter experts, many of whom are INFORMS members. The CAP credential is designed for general analytics professionals in early- to mid-career. Specific eligibility criteria include attainment of at least a BS or BA degree, three to seven years of professional analytics work experience depending on degree field and level, and confirmation of acceptable “soft skills” by candidate’s current or a previous employer. Passing the examination after meeting all of the eligibility requirements qualifies the candidate as a Certified Analytics Professional. The CAP examination covers seven domains or areas of analytics practice: business problem framing, analytics problem framing, data, methodology (approach) selection, model building, deployment, and model life cycle management. More information can be found here: https://www.informs.org/Certification-Continuing-Ed/Analytics-Certification
The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS®) is the leading professional society made up of the foremost minds in the world of analytics. More than 10,000 members worldwide, including Nobel Prize laureates, turn to INFORMS to provide leading industry best practices, training and events focused on data analytics and operations research. Members of INFORMS work in business, government and academia and represent fields as diverse as airlines, health care, law enforcement, the military, financial services, retail, engineering, and telecommunications. The society serves the scientific and professional needs of operations research analysts, experts in big data and analytics, consultants, scientists, students, educators, and managers, as well as their institutions, by publishing a variety of journals that describe the latest in operations research. Further information about INFORMS can be found online at http://www.informs.org.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb10999917.htm