June 15, 2008
Evacuation Order Lifted in N.S. Wildfire, All but 50 People Return Home
By Melanie Patten, THE CANADIAN PRESS
COLE HARBOUR, N.S. - The majority of 5,000 evacuees from a brush fire just outside of Halifax were allowed to go home Sunday night after officials say they made significant progress containing the blaze.RCMP Cpl. Joe Taplin said most evacuees can return to their properties because their neighbourhoods were deemed safe.
Taplin said fire crews did aerial surveys of the area and were satisfied the majority of homes are at a safe distance from the fire.
Mayor Peter Kelly said there was an overwhelming feeling of relief when residents learned at a meeting Sunday evening that they could return home.
However, there are still small areas where the fire is still volatile and about 50 people living in those areas are not yet able to return.
Many displaced residents had been staying with friends and family or at emergency shelters since the large, wind-whipped fire broke out Friday near Porters Lake.
Two houses were destroyed in the fire, one of them belonging to Clive Jones.
He was choosing new kitchen flooring for his rural Nova Scotia house when he found out the property he'd fallen in love with a decade ago had been destroyed by a brush fire.
On Sunday a few hours before most evacuees returned home, Jones sat anxiously in a packed emergency centre waiting to be taken to the site of his house.
"It's the one thing that's going to seal the deal as it were," said Jones, 51, who shared the house with his wife and adult daughter.
"At the moment, there is still an element of disbelief. Until I see it with my own eyes, I won't know it's true."
Stiff winds that had been fuelling the fire subsided Sunday.
While the flames destroyed the two homes and damaged about a dozen other properties, there were no injuries reported.
Jones said he still had to contact his insurance company, but was determined to build again in the area, though he feared the fire-ravaged area would never be the same.
He was among a number of residents who were taken by bus Sunday to see their damaged properties for the first time.
The wait was becoming tedious, he said, while sitting in the makeshift evacuation centre at a Cole Harbour recreational complex.
"Friday night there was a laughing and joking, Saturday lunch time there was a lot of disbelief and horror, now I suppose there's a lot of reality setting in," said Jones, who moved 11 years ago to Nova Scotia from England.
"It's getting worse every hour."
On Sunday at an emergency centre in Cole Harbour, some residents sat together and ate while others crowded around a large map trying to determine where their house was in relation to the fire.
On one wall in the centre, someone hung a colourful poster that read Happy Father's Day.
Evacuee Linda Spears described the wait as "tense," but said police, firefighters and emergency-response workers kept residents calm and up to date on developments.
"They've told us what they can, they don't want to scare us because there's so many rumours," she said.
The retiree said her house is located near a road where two houses burned down.
The cause of the fire was still under investigation, but rumours were circulating among some evacuees that a camp fire was to blame.
Taplin said police were investigating in the area of a Porters Lake school, but would not release any more details.
"We believe there is an origin but I can't release any more details on that," he told reporters.
"They did photograph that scene and take some evidence from there."
He also quashed rumours about people sneaking into closed areas and looting evacuated houses.
Once fire victims return home, Nova Scotia Premier Rodney MacDonald reassured them the province would work to provide some sort of assistance, but was unable to give specifics.
"There are emergency-type programs available, but there are obviously issues around that if it deals with property, around insurance and things of that nature and whether federal programs would also kick in," he told reporters after speaking to residents at a briefing.
"We'll do all that we can, but I would encourage folks if they're wondering about that to contact their (legislative representative's office) or my office directly and we'll get the information."