Quantcast

Sailors on Chicoutimi Exposed to ‘Toxic Soup’ of Chemicals: Navy

June 19, 2008

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

HALIFAX – The Canadian navy says sailors aboard HMCS Chicoutimi were exposed to a toxic cocktail of chemicals during a fire aboard the used submarine in 2004.

Four years after the lethal fire, military officials now say the 55-member crew breathed in carbon monoxide, carbon dioxide and other chemical irritants.

Cmdr. Jeff Agnew says the crew and their families were told of the findings at a briefing in Halifax on Wednesday night.

He says they were told that a known carcinogen, Peridite, was found to have burned when water flooded into the sub, starting an electrical fire in the commanding officer’s cabin.

Three crew members were later airlifted to a hospital, where Lt. Chris Saunders of Halifax later died.

The sub was en route to Halifax from Faslane, Scotland, on Oct. 4, 2004, when the fire broke out.




comments powered by Disqus