Quantcast

Formaldehyde Spill in Bellevue Hospital Cleaned Up

July 11, 2008

There were no injuries Wednesday when about a gallon of formaldehyde spilled in the operating room of Allegheny General Hospital Suburban Campus in Bellevue, formerly known as Suburban General Hospital.

Bellevue fire Chief Glenn Pritchard said there was no need for evacuations after the spill that occurred shortly before 4 p.m. He said new patients were diverted to other hospitals until an Allegheny County hazardous materials team could clean the spill and make sure the area was safe.

Pritchard said formaldehyde can be explosive and can cause breathing problems if inhaled. Volunteer firefighters from Bellevue and several surrounding communities stayed at the hospital until the danger was past.

Originally published by The Tribune-Review.

(c) 2008 Tribune-Review/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.




comments powered by Disqus