July 22, 2008
Beach Lifeguards Net Top Honors at Competition
Virginia Beach lifeguards have taken top honors in the South Atlantic Lifesaving Association's Regional Lifeguard Competition.
The 22-person team took the top honor during a series of events held on Pleasure Island in North Carolina on July 16 and 17, the association said.Lifeguards from Nags Head Fire and Ocean Rescue also placed first in the B Division, or small agency division. Corolla Ocean Rescue placed second, three points behind Nags Head.
The competition also included lifeguards from Atlantic Beach, Carolina Beach, Charleston County, Fernandina Beach, Hilton Head, Horry County, Jacksonville Beach, Kill Devil Hills, Nassau County and Wrightsville Beach.
Virginia Beach lifeguards also took top honors in individual events, including:
* David Bostic, 2K run, rescue board and run-swim-run, all in the men's age 45 to 49 category
* David Dierstein, open men's rescue board, rescue race; age 30 to 34 2K for men; age 30 to 34 rescue board for men; age 30 to 34 surf-ski for men and age 30 to 34 international ironman
* Jim Dierstein, 2K run, surf-swim, rescue board, run-swim-run, beach flags all in the men's 55 to 59 category
* Stephen Dierstein, open men's swim rescue race
* Ginna Ellis, open women's 2K run
* Patrick Frisk, open men's surf swim, open men's rescue board rescue race
* Tom Gill, men's age 35 to 39 run-swim-run - Sean Millard, open men's swim-rescue race
* Martina Moravcikova, open woman's surf swim
- Cindy Clayton
(c) 2008 Virginian - Pilot. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.