August 3, 2008

CJC Hopes to Race Tomorrow

The first day of the Canterbury Jockey Club's (CJC's) Grand National Carnival has been postponed until tomorrow, due to surface water on the track which is likely to pose safety concerns.

"We had about 20mm of rain overnight and there are some areas of surface water on the track," said Riccarton Park chief executive Tim Mills yesterday. Riccarton has had more than 90mm of rain in the past two days. The Hawkes Bay meeting that was scheduled for Thursday, then moved to tomorrow, will now be run on Monday.

(c) 2008 Press, The; Christchurch, New Zealand. Provided by ProQuest Information and Learning. All rights Reserved.