August 17, 2008

Boiler Blast Sparks Panic in Bhandup; 1 Injured

MUMBAI: Fear gripped residents of Bhandup on Wednesday morning when the boiler of a tar manufacturing company on Village Road exploded at 8.45 am. The blast shook the entire neighbourhood and left a labourer with 90% burn injuries. A cloud of black gas that rose was visible from Thane.

Prakash Jadhav, senior police inspector with Bhandup police station, said the explosion occurred at Tiki Tar company when labourers were mixing tar oil with some chemicals.

"A sudden increase in temperature led to a huge amount of gas being created inside the 8 ft by 5 ft boiler resulting in the explosion," said Jadhav.

He is taking the help of fire brigade and factory inspectors to ascertain the cause before pinning blame.

The critically-injured labourer has been identified as Hiralal Chavan, aged 37 years. He is being attended by doctors at Mulund General Hospital.

(c) 2008 The Times of India. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.