Unauthorized Work Reported on Site of Russia’s Winter Olympics 2014
Excerpt from report by Russian state news agency RIA Novosti
Rostov-na-Donu, 19 August: The construction of a second cargo port in the Imereti Plain in Sochi has started again without proper authorization documents, the Ecological Watch for the North Caucasus reported on Tuesday [19 August]. [Passage omitted]
“Last July the Rosmorport [Russian Sea Ports] federal state unitary enterprise started building protection structures around “Second cargo area of the Sochi port” in the middle of the Imereti Plain. Local residents and the law-enforcement bodies put a stop to this activity. It transpired that documents allowing to start construction work, land surveying, cadastral and town-building plans, construction documentation and an approved plan for the lot lines had been absent,” the ecologists said.
Last weekend, according to the ecologists, Rosmorport again started geologic works at the site of the proposed cargo port and again without proper authorization documents. [Passage omitted].
The report stressed that local residents again called in the law- enforcement bodies to check the activities of these zealous geologists. “An administrative offence was registered with regard to the engineering geologist of the SochiTisizProekt company but the construction of the port is still continuing,” a spokesman for the Ecology Watch said. [Passage omitted]
Originally published by RIA Novosti news agency, Moscow, in Russian 1302 19 Aug 08.
(c) 2008 BBC Monitoring Former Soviet Union. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.