August 22, 2008
Unprotected Tree to Be Removed
By STICKLEY, Marcus
A large sequoia tree in Stoke, thought to be more than 130 years old, will be chopped down after the Nelson City Council discovered it is not protected.The tree on the corner of Sequoia Way and Main Rd Stoke is one of two remaining on the property of Bryan and Tracey Parks. A wind- storm last month toppled a third tree into their home.
Council parks and facilities manager Paul McArthur said records showed only one protected sequoia on the property and the Parks were "given the benefit of the doubt" in choosing which of the two trees that was.
The trees were probably planted in the early 1870s, he said.
Mrs Parks said they chose the tallest of the two trees to be felled because it was hanging over their house, causing their children to fear returning home.
She hoped to have the unprotected tree removed within a fortnight and planned to apply for resource consent to cut down the remaining sequoia.
Another Stoke resident, Barry Burrows, is lobbying the council for the removal of another sequoia behind his home after branches crashed through his roof during the same wind-storm.
(c) 2008 Nelson Mail, The. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.