September 6, 2008
Fire Smolders Beneath Parking Garage
By Deseret News
Firefighters were called to a structure fire in offices underneath the parking garage next to the Deseret News building Friday.
The fire was reported just after 11:30 a.m. in a storage area underneath the Regent Street Parking structure, just off 100 S. State.
Although no smoke or flames were visible from the street, the fire did prompt officials to call a second alarm. A strong smell of smoke lingered on the lower levels of the parking area long after firefighters had left.
The fire was mainly in the floors and the ceiling, said Salt Lake Fire Capt. Karleen Montanez. It was contained to one small storage area. The blaze never had raging flames, she said. The biggest concern was burning and smoldering insulation. The second alarm was called as a precaution and for manpower, she said.
None of the the cars in the parking structure were affected. Cars were restricted from entering and leaving for a brief time, but the structure has since been reopened.
Investigators determined a welder doing work on a pipe accidentally started part of a wall on fire.
(c) 2008 Deseret News (Salt Lake City). Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.