September 29, 2008
Anger As Emergency Water Hit With Lead
By JOHN FALLON; OLIVIA KELLEHER
THE water crisis hit a new low yesterday as it was revealed the emergency back-up supply is also contaminated.
Galway City Council set up a temporary tap in Mervue for all the residents whose tap water was found to have lead in it.
But the emergency supply had to be withdrawn when it was found to be contaminated as well.
Lead levels five times over the safe amount was found.
Water tanks are now in place in the Mervue area, but angry councillor Terry O'Flaherty warned residents have been drinking the poisoned supply for more than a week.
She said: "It's a complete disgrace. The whole thing is an absolute shambles and people are absolutely appalled and disgusted by the whole situation.
"People had been going to the temporary tap and trying to use it.
"They had no idea why the water had been switched off as there was no sign or any indication that this supply had also been contaminated.
"People in the area need to be informed about what is happening."
The lead crisis has also spread to Cork.
Residents of Beecher Street, Mallow, were told to stop drinking their water on Friday after high levels of lead were found in routine tests.
Mallow mayor James Kennedy vowed to solve the problem, adding: "Cork County Council has made the decision to replace the old 400 metres of pipes on both side of the street."
(c) 2008 Daily Mirror. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.