February 4, 2009

Florida hospital sued over mold

Three families are suing St. Joseph's Hospital in Tampa, Fla., alleging their children died after exposure to a dangerous fungus.

Attorney Steve Yerrid said the children, who were being treated for cancer, died of mold-related infections. He said the fungus was released during a construction project at the hospital, the St. Petersburg (Fla.) Times reported Wednesday.

The report said each child's infection was linked to aspergillus, a common mold found in soil, air and construction dust.

A St. Joseph's spokeswoman would not comment on the case but said the hospital is careful to take necessary precautions around construction sites.