Quantcast

Company Seeking 2010 Titanic Expedition

October 26, 2009

RMS Titanic, the sole company with rights to the Titanic wreck site has plans for an expedition to the shipwreck next year.

According to the Associated Press, RMS Titanic has filed for the expedition in US District Court.

The expedition would represent the first of its kind since 2004.

RMS Titanic’s legal team has confirmed the plans to the Associated Press, but did not give details.

“That is something that is being looked at right now but it’s not in any way a done deal,” said attorney Robert W. McFarland.

Hearings are to begin Monday over the company’s salvage claim. U.S. District Judge Rebecca Beach Smith, a maritime jurist, will preside over the hearings.

The Titanic sank on April 15, 1912, and its remains were discovered in 1985. RMS Titanic has returned with artifacts from six separate dives.

The AP reported that RMS Titanic’s attorneys would seek “title to the artifacts and a monetary award for its salvage costs.”

Judge Smith views the Titanic as an “international treasure,” and will aim to require RMS Titanic’s findings to be preserved and intact as a publicly available collection.

“I am concerned that the Titanic is not only a national treasure, but in its own way an international treasure, and it needs protection and it needs to be monitored,” Smith said last year.

On the Net:




comments powered by Disqus