Quantcast

Las Vegas Hotel Guests Troubled By “˜Death Ray’ Windows

September 30, 2010

Guests in a Las Vegas hotel claim that they have been burned by sun rays that have been magnified by the building’s glass structure.

Guests at the Vdara hotel said that their hair had been singed and that plastic bags had melted from the sun rays in the hotel’s swimming pool area.

The hotel’s owners said the tall, concave tower collected and intensified sunshine to create a “death ray,” which focused on the swimming pool area.

Bill Pintas, a lawyer staying at the hotel, said he suffered from the heat soon after noon one day.

“I’m sitting there in the chair and all of the sudden my hair and the top of my head are burning,” Mr Pintas told ABC News. “I’m rubbing my head and it felt like a chemical burn. I couldn’t imagine what it could be.

“I used to live in Miami and I’ve sat in the sun in Las Vegas 100 times,” he said. “I know what a hot sun feels like and this was not it.”

Pintas showed off how the black lettering on his white plastic carrier bag had been burned through by the sun.  Plastic bags are typically made of polyethylene, which melts at about 120 C.

Gordon Absher, a spokesman for the hotel’s parent company MGM Mirage, said they were aware of the problem.

“Because of the curved, concave shape of that hotel, they sometimes get isolated pockets of high temperatures,” Absher told ABC.

He said a film applied to the hotel’s exterior stopped 70 percent of rays being reflected, but acknowledged that this had not been enough.

He told ABC news that the designers are now working to address what he called “solar convergence.”

On the Net:




comments powered by Disqus