Science News Archive - April 02, 2006
By George Obulutsa DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) - Tanzania has ordered farmers and herders who have encroached on water catchment areas and game reserves to leave in a drive to protect the drought- weakened environment, Vice-President Ali Muhammed Shein said.
Many scientists are not so sure that the oncoming train of global warming can be avoided. Temperatures are going to rise for decades to come because the chief gas that causes global warming lingers in the atmosphere for about a century.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.