November 21, 2013
ESO To Announce New Planetarium And Exhibition Center In Bavaria
On 3 December 2013 at 11:00 CET, ESO will host a press conference in Garching bei München, Germany, to announce plans to build an exhibition center and planetarium at the ESO Headquarters in Bavaria.
The project is based on an idea that originated out of cooperation between ESO and the Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies — the research institute of the Klaus Tschira Stiftung. The construction work is scheduled to begin in 2014.
Public interest in astronomy and space science has seen a major resurgence in recent years. With the recent completion of the ALMA Observatory in Chile, and a constant stream of new discoveries from ESO's other sites at La Silla and Paranal, ESO is in a prime position to deliver astronomical education and outreach to an increasingly curious public.
The new building will symbolize a binary star system about to go supernova. The design of this stunning, sleek building has been conceived by Klaus Tschira with the help of the Darmstadt-based architectural firm, Bernhardt + Partner, who have previously designed the spectacular House of Astronomy in Heidelberg. ESO's new visitor center will act as a sister facility to the House of Astronomy, which was founded by the Klaus Tschira Stiftung and the Max Planck Society.
The new center will include an exhibition and a medium-sized state-of-the-art fulldome planetarium with custom-made shows designed by ESO and other world-leading organizations. Additional rooms house conference facilities that will allow a variety of lectures, workshops and conferences for the public and academic events.
Time: 3 December 2013, 11:00 CET
Place: ESO HQ Council Room, Karl-Schwarzschild-Strasse 2, D-85748 Garching bei München, Germany
The program includes the following highlights:
- Joint initiative launches new star in Garching
- Prof. Tim de Zeeuw
- Director, European Southern Observatory
- The way to a new supernova
- Dr. h.c. Dr.-Ing. E. h. Klaus Tschira
- Managing Director, Klaus Tschira Stiftung, Heidelberg
- Conceptualising a stellar explosion
- Manfred Bernhardt, BdA,
- Architects Bernhardt + Partner, Darmstadt
- Signing of the letter of intent between Klaus Tschira Stiftung, the Heidelberger Institute for Theoretical Studies and ESO.
Other representatives involved with the project will be available for questions:
- Patrick Geeraert, ESO, Director of Administration
- Garching Mayor Hannelore Gabor
- Beate Spiegel, Klaus Tschira Stiftung, Managing Director
- Konrad Müller, Klaus Tschira Stiftung, Board of Curators
- Axel Müller, Architects Bernhardt + Partner
- Thomas Mrokon, Architects Bernhardt + Partner
- Fabian Reckmann, ESO, ESO Facilities, Logistics & Transport
- Renate Ries, Klaus Tschira Stiftung, Media and Communication
- Lars Lindberg Christensen, ESO education and Public Outreach
Media wishing to attend the event are invited to complete and submit this form.
On The Net: