Space News Archive - September 27, 2005
NASA's New Horizons spacecraft arrived at the Kennedy Space Center, Florida on Saturday for final preparations and testing for the probe's decade-long journey. It will be the first spacecraft to visit Pluto and its moon Charon.
The U.S. Air Force is reviewing its space programs -- many of which are behind schedule and over budget -- with an eye to slowing down projects whose technologies are not yet mature, the Pentagon's top space official said on Tuesday.
- A Roman unit of weight, 1⁄1728 of a pound.
- A weight of four grains used in weighing gold and precious stones; a carat.
- In anatomy, a formation suggesting a husk or pod.
- The lowest unit in the Roman coinage, the twenty-fourth part of a solidus.
- A coin of base silver of the Gothic and Lombard kings of Italy.