Space News Archive - May 17, 2012
Continuing the celebration of André Kuipers’ music in space, British rock legend Sir Elton John sent a special message to ESA, André and the crew of the ISS on the 40th anniversary of his classic song ‘Rocket Man’.
Early Wednesday morning, an Ariane 5 launcher lifted off from Europe’s Spaceport in French Guiana on its mission to place two telecommunications satellites, JCSAT-13 and Vinasat-2, into their planned transfer orbits.
NASA is lending the Galaxy Evolution Explorer (GALEX) to the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena, where the spacecraft will continue its exploration of the cosmos.
A Russian Soyuz spacecraft carrying American astronaut Joe Acaba and Russian cosmonauts Gennady Padalka and Sergei Revin docked successfully with the International Space Station’s Poisk module at 12:36 a.m. EDT on Thursday after a two day journey.
NASA Deputy Administrator Lori Garver will participate in a teleconference on Thursday, May 17, at 2 p.m. EDT with representatives of the Commercial Spaceflight Federation to brief journalists on the future of human commercial spaceflight.
The second SpaceX demonstration launch for NASA's Commercial Orbital Transportation Services (COTS) is scheduled for liftoff on Saturday, May 19.
NASA has just received observations from its WISE mission, giving them the best assessment thus far of how many potentially hazardous asteroids are floating around in our solar system.
New research shows that other sun-like stars in the universe can send off flares much larger than those seen on our sun.
- A murmuring sound; a rushing or whistling sound, like that of the wind; a deep sigh.
- A gentle breeze; a waft; a breath.
- Any rumor that engages general attention.
- A cant or whining mode of speaking, especially in preaching or praying; the chant or recitative characteristic of the old Presbyterians in Scotland.
- To make a rushing, whistling, or sighing sound; emit a hollow murmur; murmur or sigh like the wind.
- To breathe in or as in sleep.
- To utter in a whining or monotonous tone.