Quantcast

IPL cricket tourney to move from India

March 22, 2009

The Indian Premier League cricket tournament will be moved from India because officials cannot provide it adequate security, officials said.

The tournament coincides with India’s national elections, and because security concerns have mounted in the wake of a terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan cricket team’s bus in Lahore, Pakistan, the demands of both events were too much for India to handle, The Sunday Times of London reported.

Last year’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai also contributed to security concerns for the Twenty20 competition, which debuted in India last year and has now become the biggest sports event to be shifted from South Asia because of fears of terrorism from Islamic militant groups based in Pakistan, the newspaper said.

We made the best of our endeavors to stage the event in India, but have to move it out of India because of existing conditions, Shashank Manohar, president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India, told reporters Sunday. We’re in discussion with some foreign cricket boards who have shown interest.

The IPL had been scheduled for between April 10 and May 24. It will probably be moved to England or South Africa, the newspaper said.


Source: upi



comments powered by Disqus