June 4, 2009
Stallworth pleads not guilty to DUI charge
Pro football star Donte Stallworth pleaded not guilty in Miami Thursday to driving drunk when he hit and killed a pedestrian in March, court officials said.
Stallworth, a wide receiver for the Cleveland Browns, remained free after his arraignment on a $200,000 bond, The Miami Herald said.
Miami Beach police said Stallworth, 28, had a blood alcohol level over the legal limit on March 14 shortly after his car struck and killed Mario Reyes, 59, on the McArthur Causeway.
Stallworth, who had been partying at a posh Miami Beach nightclub, is charged with DUI manslaughter.
Reyes, a shipping company worker who had just finished his shift, was killed as he crossed the causeway to reach a bus stop, officials said.