Goal-line technology not yet an option: FIFA
By Mike Collett
BERLIN (Reuters) – FIFA will not consider using video
evidence or other goal-line technology to determine if a goal
has been scored until it is 100 percent reliable, spokesman
Markus Siegler said on Monday.
The issue was raised again after TV replays suggested
France should have taken a 2-0 lead in the 32nd minute of
Sunday’s match against South Korea at the Zentralstadion in
Patrick Vieira’s header looked well over the line despite
goalkeeper Lee Woon-jae’s efforts to claw it away.
Mexican referee Benito Archundia waved play on and the goal
did not stand. The teams eventually drew their Group G match
1-1 leaving France’s progress at the finals in the balance.
World soccer’s governing body FIFA experimented with new
technology last year when they used a ball with a microchip in
it at the world under-17 championship in Peru.
If that experiment had proved faultless the same technology
would have been used at the World Cup, but Siegler reiterated
FIFA’s policy again on Monday.
“The experiment with the chip ball in Peru was ‘not bad’
but it was not 100 percent conclusive,” he said.
“We are open about reviewing technological support, but its
introduction depends on a system being developed that is 100
percent reliable, otherwise we will not use it.”
FIFA have continuously refused to allow video evidence to
be used to determine whether a goal is scored or not.
The governing body’s president Sepp Blatter maintains that
football must have a “human face” and that “human error” by
referees and players alike is part of the game.
FIFA are continually working with their various partners on
technological advances but, for the time being, none are being
considered for use at the World Cup.