Broadcom Introduces New Wi-Fi Module Bringing Wireless Connectivity to an Array of Previously Non-Networked Devices
IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 10, 2011 /PRNewswire/ —
- Self-contained Wi-Fi subsystem with embedded processor, a streamlined and simple connectivity API and complete software development environment allows manufacturers to incorporate wireless connectivity into a broad range of products that previously did not feature networking capability
- Breakthrough “self-hosted” Wi-Fi and networking software stack eliminates impact on host processor to manage connectivity in resource-constrained devices
- Platform enables simplified Wi-Fi integration in MCU-based systems and creates new opportunities for Wi-Fi proliferation into emerging markets
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today unveiled its new Wireless Internet Connectivity for Embedded Devices (WICED) platform (pronounced “wik-id”). The new module eases development effort and simplifies the implementation of Wi-Fi connectivity in an array of consumer devices, especially those with no current networking support. Visit Broadcom.com for more news on wireless connectivity.
The new Wi-Fi module, featuring the BroadcomÃ‚® BCM4319 wireless LAN MAC/baseband/radio, includes an embedded processor and unique “self-hosted” Wi-Fi networking library and software application stack, allowing manufacturers to easily integrate wireless connectivity into any MCU based consumer product. WICED-based modules enable the addition of secure, interoperable Wi-Fi functionality via a simple serial port using a basic command set that does not require any significant changes in product micro-controller architectures.
The WICED platform enables Wi-Fi in several emerging markets including connected appliances, smart energy systems, and cloud-based health and home management services.
- Home Appliances: When WICED is integrated into appliances such as washing machines and air conditioners, users can monitor energy consumption and control the products either at home or remotely.
- Consumer Electronics: WICED modules can be easily designed into portable consumer electronics like digital cameras and audio products for file sharing and access to internet-based storage and applications.
- Cloud-Based Services: Because of its low power and small size, WICED solutions can be built into sensors and monitors for remote and cloud-based healthcare, fitness and security capabilities.
Modules based on Broadcom’s WICED platform are now shipping to top tier appliance OEMs and makers of monitoring and control electronics.
Product Highlights/Key Facts:
- WICED leverages Broadcom’s advanced Wi-Fi technology and products. Key product features and benefits include:
- The BCM4319 single-chip 802.11a/b/g /n solution, with radio, MAC, baseband and integrated power amplifier (PA). A complete development kit with software debugger, compiler and test board is also available.
- Easy-to-use software development and applications library with an innovative application programming interface (API) that reduces development complexity required to access and utilize advanced Wi-Fi capabilities.
- Serial-to-Wi-Fi API enables high-speed TCP/IP throughput of greater than 20 megabits per second that enables advanced applications and support for key I/O interfaces, including USB, UART, SPI and SDIO.
- Built-in support for Wi-Fi Direct and Wi-Fi Protected Set-up allow end users to get connected simply and securely.
Sam Lucero, Practice Director M2M
“There are two important ‘smart’ networks under development, one that connects homes to power grids and other networks, and another that connects electric devices within the home. Broadcom’s WICED platform leverages the advantages of secure, interoperable Wi-Fi home networks and smartphone connections while simplifying its integration into these devices. This approach supports the advantages for appliance manufacturers, utilities, and consumers by accelerating the capabilities of connected home networks worldwide and enabling a greener planet.”
Brian Bedrosian, Product Line Director, Embedded Wireless Local Area Networks
“The spectacular growth of smartphones with Wi-Fi is providing constant consumer connectivity which is enabling the emergence of connected appliances, in-home medical monitoring and ‘Cloud’ based connected services for home and lifestyle management. As the undisputed leader in connectivity for consumer electronic devices, Broadcom is ideally positioned to drive this next wave of innovation. By making it easy to access ubiquitous Wi-Fi networks in homes and businesses around the world, Broadcom’s WICED platform will help make these new connected applications a reality.”
Subscribe to Broadcom’s RSS Feed: Mobile and Wireless News
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500Ã‚® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. BroadcomÃ‚® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everythingÃ‚®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
BroadcomÃ‚®, the pulse logo, Connecting everythingÃ‚® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts -------- Media Investors Susan Vander May Chris Zegarelli Corporate Communications Investor Relations 408-922-6161 949-926-7567 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless