Broadcom Powers Global Positioning in New Samsung GALAXY Note
IRVINE, Calif., Nov. 16, 2011 /PRNewswire/ —
- Broadcom global positioning technology collects data from four satellite constellations for faster signal searches and more accurate real-time navigation
- Extended satellite coverage significantly improves location performance and time-to-first-fix, particularly in urban areas
- Broadcom’s Location Based Services (LBS) technology delivers both GPS and GLONASS assistance data to the device, further enhancing performance and reliability
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced its BCM47511 solution is powering location awareness in Samsung’s latest smart phone, GALAXY Note. By using Broadcom’s BCM47511 location chip, the GALAXY Note collects signals from four global navigation satellite systems for dramatically increased global positioning speed, accuracy and reliability. Visit Broadcom.com for more news on wireless connectivity.
The Samsung GALAXY Note is one of the first smart phones delivering multiple constellation support to the handset market. By leveraging the United States NAVSTAR Global Positioning System (GPS), Russia’s Globalnaya Navigazionnaya Sputnikovaya Sistema (GLONASS), Japan’s Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS) and the Satellite Based Augmentation Systems (SBAS), users have access to 59 satellites currently in orbit – nearly twice the coverage of GPS alone.
The additional satellite coverage enables significant improvements in location performance, time-to-first-fix, and accuracy, particularly in urban areas where GPS-only solutions experience reduced signal coverage. Broadcom’s Location Based Services (LBS) technology delivers both GPS and GLONASS assistance data to the device, further enhancing performance and reliability
- The BCM47511 SoC solution is Broadcom’s latest generation of standalone receivers, featuring both integrated GPS and GLONASS. Since it is pin-for-pin compatible with Broadcom’s popular BCM4751 SoC solution, customers can quickly upgrade their current products to include the benefits of GPS/GLONASS navigation support.
- The GPS core of the BCM47511 uses a host-based system architecture that splits processing functions between the GPS chip and the CPU on the host system, significantly decreasing system cost, while enabling customization or optimization of GPS/GLONASS navigation software algorithms on the host.
- The BCM47511 provides low power consumption and an ultra low-power tracking mode.
- The BCM47511 also includes on-chip low drop-out (LDO) regulators to supply the GNSS TCXO and optional low noise amplifier (LNA), reducing overall bill-of-materials (BOM) cost.
- Broadcom provides GPS Location Library software API’s and Assisted GPS (AGPS) protocol client software that gives designers complete access to the BCM47511′s advanced positioning capabilities.
Scott Pomerantz, Vice President & General Manager, Broadcom’s GPS line of business
“We are delighted that Samsung Electronics has chosen the BCM47511 to deliver superior location performance and reliability in their next generation of smart phones. The GALAXY Note is yet another innovative product from technology leader Samsung, and Broadcom is pleased that our newest GNSS solution paves the way for a better location experience with this device.”
Patrick Connolly, ABI Research
“Broadcom has demonstrated promising momentum with the BCM47511. This new chip delivers improved performance using signals from as many as four different satellite navigation systems. As one of the first products shipping with this location technology, Broadcom is continuing to demonstrate its strength in the GPS market.”
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500Â® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. BroadcomÂ® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everythingÂ®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
BroadcomÂ®, the pulse logo, Connecting everythingÂ® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts -------- Media Investors Susan Vander May Chris Zegarelli Corporate Communications Investor Relations 408-922-6161 949-926-7567 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless