TI offers best noise performance and lowest power in 14-bit, 8-channel ADC at 80 MSPS for medical imaging applications
DALLAS, Nov. 17, 2011 /PRNewswire/ — Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NYSE: TXN) today introduced the industry’s best noise performance and lowest power octal-channel, 14-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC) at 80 MSPS. The ADS5294 meets designers’ needs for power-efficient, cost-effective designs by delivering a best-in-class signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 75.5 dBFS at 5 MHz and a sampling frequency of up to 80 MSPS. Along with high performance and lowest power consumption of 77 mW per channel at 80 MSPS, ADS5294 also integrates a digital processing block, a low-frequency noise suppression mode and programmable input-to-output mapping. All these features allow system designers to integrate more functions in a smaller footprint, resulting in more compact medical imaging systems. For information, samples and evaluation modules (EVMs) visit www.ti.com/ads5294-pr.
Key features and benefits
- Leading noise and power performance: The ADS5294 provides best-in-class SNR and enables designers of high-density applications to increase channel count without increasing power.
- 75.5 dBFS SNR at 5 MHz/80 MSPS
- 78.2 dBFS SNR at 5 MHz and decimation filter enabled
- 84 dBc SFDR at 5 MHz/80 MSPS
- 77 mW per channel at 80 MSPS (two LVDS wires per channel)
- Low-frequency noise suppression mode.
- Digital processing block that integrates several commonly used system functions such as two- or four-channel averaging and decimation by two, four or eight filters.
- The digital processing block can be used to significantly improve SNR and filter harmonics, while reducing output data rate for narrow-band applications.
- Two-wire LVDS interface: Using the ADS5294, digital data can be output over one or two wires of LVDS pins per channel reducing the number of interface lines. This creates a two-wire interface which keeps the serial data rate low allowing designers to use low cost FPGAs.
- In addition to medical imaging systems, the ADS5294 brings the same benefits to radar, communications, test and measurement and other multi-channel data acquisition applications.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The ADS5294 is available now in a 12-mm x 12-mm, 80-pin QFP package. The ADS5294 is priced at $84 in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
To provide a flexible environment for testing the ADS5294 under a variety of conditions, an evaluation module (EVM) is available. The ADS5294 EVM is priced at $299 and can be found at www.ti.com/ads5294evm-pr.
Highly optimized analog products and full portfolio for medical applications
The ADS5294 is the latest addition to TI’s extensive portfolio of highly optimized analog products for medical imaging systems and other medical applications including:
- Ultrasound: The AFE58xx family of analog front ends for ultrasound applications with the AFE5801 and AFE5851 for handheld systems, the AFE5805 and AFE5804 for portable to mid-range systems, and the AFE5807 and AFE5808 for high-end ultrasound systems, all complemented on the transmit side by TI’s TX810 T/R switch.
- ECG/EEG: The ADS1298 family of analog front ends bringing lowest power and highest integration to electrocardiogram (ECG), electroencephalogram (EEG) and other patient monitoring applications.
TI’s full portfolio of semiconductor products for medical applications includes embedded processors, such as DSPs and MCUs, plus a full range of analog signal chain, power management and wireless connectivity solutions, which allow manufacturers to bring innovative medical electronics to market faster.
Find out more about the ADS5294 and TI products for medical imaging:
- Download the datasheet and order ADS5294 evaluation modules and samples at www.ti.com/ads5294-pr.
- The ADS5294 is also joined by the ADS5292, an octal-channel, 12-bit, 80 MSPS ADC.
- View TI’s medical imaging website for system block diagrams and to explore TI’s full portfolio for medical imaging applications like ultrasound, CT scanners and MRI machines: www.ti.com/medicalimaging.
- Download TI’s Medical Imaging Applications Guide: www.ti.com/imagingguidepdf-pr.
- Learn more about TI’s offering for Medical applications at www.ti.com/medical.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 80,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All trademarks and registered trademarks and other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated