API Service Provides Post-redistricting Legislative District Boundaries to Accurately Match Addresses to the Latest Boundary Data
Cicero API enables the geocoding and matching of addresses to legislative districts and elected official contact information. Enabling users to access both current and future legislative boundary data provides additional value to the district matching process.
Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) November 17, 2011
Azavea, an award-winning geospatial analysis (GIS) software development company, announces the addition of updated, post-redistricting legislative district boundaries to the Cicero API (http://www.azavea.com/cicero), AzaveaÃ¢s district matching and elected official lookup API. Cicero API users are now able to:
- Match addresses to the district boundaries determined in 2000 that are still in effect as well as those new, redistricted legislative boundaries that have gone through the final approval process and are currently in use.
- Using a separate web service request, match addresses to revised legislative boundaries that have been approved but are not yet in effect.
The Cicero API team continues to update legislative boundaries at the local, state and national levels as redistricting plans are approved.
Every ten years, following the national Census, city council, state legislature and congressional district boundaries must be redrawn to reflect the nationÃ¢s growing and shifting population. Addresses shift to different legislative districts, which affects an organizationÃ¢s or individualÃ¢s ability to identify the districts an address belongs to. Yet a multitude of open government, election watchdog organizations, lobbying groups, and unions depend on the ability to match their constituents to the elected officials who represent them in order to advocate on their behalf. When these organizations have advanced access to the updated legislative districts they are able to more effectively mobilize their constituents.
This most recent addition to the Cicero data collection further sets the API apart from similar other services. The Cicero database and API offer several important advantages:
- Access to a collection of elected official contact and legislative boundary data from around the world.
- Maps of each legislative district, and contact information for local, state, and national elected officials in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.
- Information for U.S. governors and lieutenant governors, U.S. police and school districts, and U.S. watersheds.
- Continuously updated data by a team of GIS analysts and political data researchers.
- Highly accurate, address-based, legislative district matching web service.
All told, the Cicero system now includes over 10,700 legislative boundaries and information on over 12,800 elected officials.
Ã¢Å“Many Cicero users have expressed interest in accessing the newly redistricted legislative district boundaries, prior to them actually taking effect. By releasing the new Cicero API web service call for newly redistricted boundaries, we are able to provide Cicero users with the information they need to actively engage their constituents in a timely fashion.Ã¢ Abby Fretz, Cicero Product Manager
The Cicero API currently provides legislative district boundaries and elected official information to public and private web applications for newspapers, election watchdog groups, philanthropic foundations, unions, arts organizations and private commercial firms. For more information about the Cicero API, visit: http://www.azavea.com/cicero
About Azavea – Azavea is an award-winning geospatial analysis (GIS) software development firm specializing in the creation of location-based web and mobile software as well as geospatial analysis services. Azavea is a certified B Corporation that applies geographic data and technology to promote the emergence of more dynamic, vibrant, and sustainable communities. Each of AzaveaÃ¢s projects, products and pro bono engagements showcases this commitment. Find more at http://www.azavea.com.
If you would like more information about Azavea or to schedule an interview with Robert Cheetham, Azavea CEO and President, please contact Amy Trahey at (215) 558 Ã¢“ 6184 or e-mail atrahey(at)azavea(dot)com.
For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/prweb2011/11/prweb8970209.htm