Broadcom Enables up to 10 Year Battery Life for BluetoothÂ® Keyboards
IRVINE, Calif., Dec. 6, 2011 /PRNewswire/ –
- Bluetooth keyboards based on new design to match up to 10 year battery life of forthcoming Bluetooth low energy (BLE) solutions.
- Keyboards will be backward compatible with Bluetooth-enabled PCs that have been shipping for the last 10 years.
- The BCM20730 chip is in full production with reference design being evaluated by top peripheral makers worldwide.
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today introduced a new reference design and accompanying software that will dramatically increase battery life for wireless keyboards based on the “classic” Bluetooth basic rate radio.
Broadcom’s new design, featuring updated firmware and innovative techniques designed to minimize power consumption, will yield a new generation of keyboards and other Human Interface Devices (HIDs) that could operate for the life of the product on a single pair of AA batteries.
The new reference design is based on the BroadcomÂ® BCM20730 65 nm low-power HID chip and includes several innovations that also will make wireless keyboards and mice easier to use. With integrated support for USB HID Emulation (UHE) and Broadcom’s ZeroTouch configuration technology, these peripherals can be used right out of the box with no special pairing procedure, making them ideal for “all-in-one” desktop PCs.
Bluetooth continues to gain momentum as the technology of choice for wireless mice, keyboards, 3D glasses and consumer electronics remote controls with more than 4 billion standard Bluetooth chips already installed in popular electronics to which these HIDs can connect. HIDs based on the Broadcom BCM20730 can enjoy the same battery life as those based on Bluetooth Low Energy (LE) technology, even when connected to existing devices that have shipped with older versions of Bluetooth.
The new BCM20730-based ultra low power HID reference design is available now and sampling to customers.
Tom Ramsthaler, Senior Director, Marketing, Wireless Personal Area Networks
“Broadcom innovations continue to expand the usefulness of standard Bluetooth, allowing consumers to take further advantage of one of the most ubiquitous wireless technologies in the world. By boosting the battery life of keyboards to as long as 10 years, this new design satisfies consumer preferences for HIDs that could potentially never need new batteries.”
Low-Power HID Reference Design Highlights:
- The Broadcom BCM20730 single-chip HID solution and reference design enable a new generation of wireless input peripherals that take advantage of Bluetooth wireless technology, the most widely available connectivity standard for these applications.
- The BCM20730 Bluetooth chip is compliant with the Bluetooth 4.0 Core Specification and includes support for Unicast Connectionless Data (UCD) and Enhanced Power Control (EPC) introduced in Bluetooth Core Specification 3.0 + HS.
- Compatible with BluetoothÂ® smart ready and other HID host devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, televisions, game consoles and set-top boxes which include Bluetooth HID support conforming to Bluetooth Core Specification versions from 1.1 through 4.0.
- The design also supports the upcoming upgraded HID Profile 1.1, which enhances support for Secure Simple Pairing and Sniff Subrating, which allows the radio to dynamically adapt its performance to optimally trade-off power consumption and performance, as needed.
- The BCM20730 integrates multiple off-chip components for a lower bill of materials cost to deliver superior and more affordable HID products than those based on competing solutions.
For more information on the BCM20730 Bluetooth HID chip, please visit http://www.broadcom.com/products/Bluetooth/Bluetooth-RF-Silicon-and-Software-Solutions/BCM20730
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500Â® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. BroadcomÂ® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everythingÂ®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
BroadcomÂ®, the pulse logo, Connecting everythingÂ®, and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts -------- Trade Press Investors Henry Rael Chris Zegarelli Corporate Communications Investor Relations 949-926-5734 949-926-7567 email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Mobile & Wireless