Verizon Invested More Than $639 Million in California’s Wireline Communications, IT Infrastructure in 2011
THOUSAND OAKS, Calif., Feb. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Annually a major investor in California’s economy and infrastructure, Verizon continued to bring communications and computing innovation to the state’s consumers and businesses in 2011. Verizon invested more than $639 million in its California wireline communications networks and IT infrastructure last year.
“Verizon is a key component of California’s economy, as our technologically advanced networks enable commerce to thrive, businesses to innovate, students to learn and people to stay connected with one another,” said Margaret Serjak, president of Verizon California. “Our company and our employees are closely linked with the communities we serve, providing an engine for economic growth through our aggressive network and IT deployment.
“Our substantial infrastructure investment enables Californians to connect however, whenever and wherever they want,” said Serjak. “This borderless lifestyle benefits our customers, employees, suppliers and communities.”
Verizon’s major wireline infrastructure programs last year included:
- Continued deployment of the company’s award-winning, 100 percent fiber-optic FiOS TV and FiOS Internet services. In 2011, Verizon extended FiOS service to more consumers and businesses in the Hesperia, Perris and Moreno Valley areas, with the services available to more than 1.3 million California homes and businesses at year’s end.
- Enhancements that further differentiate FiOS services from the competition. Provided over an all-fiber infrastructure that is much more resilient than other wireline networks, the next-generation FiOS TV is built upon a long series of innovations, including a robust Interactive Media Guide that provides an in-depth, interactive TV experience; Flex View and FiOS TV Online, which extend FiOS TV beyond the home to the Internet and a range of mobile devices; free interactive applications including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Yelp, HSN Shop By Remote, TMZ and others; Media Manager, which allows customers to access on their TVs personal photos, music and videos from their computers; and In-Home Agent, which frees customers to use simple online tools to diagnose and resolve a range of service issues. In 2011, Verizon:
- Launched Home Monitoring & Control, which provides customers with remote access, control and monitoring of doors, thermostat controls, appliances and home-energy use.
- Rolled out MY FiOS, an easy-to-use mobile application that gives customers access to a variety of other applications including Home Monitoring & Control, as well as movies, TV shows and personal content; remote DVR access and control; and billing, account management and customer service tools.
- Enabled customers who are Xbox LIVE Gold members and who subscribe to both FiOS TV and Internet service to view select live channels through their Xbox consoles through a collaboration with Microsoft.
- Upgraded its Interactive Media Guide, with applications for advanced/intuitive search, social networking, Internet video, personal media streaming, high-definition music, remote DVR controls, account management and billing functions, multi-screen/mobile viewing and much more.
- Accelerated deployment of fiber-optic links to wireless carriers’ cell sites throughout California as these carriers expand their infrastructure to meet ever-growing demand for wireless broadband and advanced 4G services. In 2011, Verizon deployed fiber optics to connect 404 of these sites in the state.
Verizon Enterprise Solutions
Verizon Enterprise Solutions oversees all of Verizon’s solutions for business and government customers, including its portfolio of enterprise mobility, cloud and IT, strategic networking and advanced communications offerings; specialized solutions for key industries such as health care, travel and transportation, retail, utilities and financial services; IT consulting services; and the company’s full range of global wholesale offerings.
In 2011, the unit launched the Verizon Fraud Management for Healthcare, an advanced-software platform that is tailored to the health care industry and uses predictive modeling technology to examine health care payment requests and route potentially fraudulent claims to case managers for investigation. In addition, Verizon Enterprise Solutions accelerated its global strategy with the acquisition of Terremark, a leading provider of cloud computing solutions, and CloudSwitch, an innovative IT company that enables plug-and-play simplicity in the cloud.
Last year, Verizon Enterprise Solutions launched new security offerings, including solutions aimed at halting identity theft, and a number of industry-specific innovations.
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America’s most reliable wireless network, with nearly 109 million total connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America’s most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with $111 billion in 2011 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of nearly 194,000. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON’S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon’s News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by email, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.