TI pushes speed threshold with industry’s fastest 16-bit digital-to-analog converter at 1.5 GSPS
DALLAS, Feb. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Continuing to push the limits of data converter performance, Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry’s fastest 16-bit digital-to-analog converter (DAC). The quad DAC34SH84 is 50-percent faster and uses 50-percent less power than the closest 16-bit DAC alternative, clocking in at 1.5 GSPS and consuming just 362 mW per channel. The DAC34SH84 provides an easy, pin-compatible upgrade from the 1.25-GSPS DAC34H84 for customers wanting to maximize speed in 3G, LTE, GSM and WiMAX wireless base stations and repeaters; microwave point-to-point radio; software defined radio; and waveform generation systems. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/dac34sh84-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DAC34SH84
- Increased bandwidth: 750-MSPS-per-DAC input rate supports up to 600-MHz complex bandwidth for fifth order linearization of 120 MHz – three times wider than the competition when running at maximum sample rates.
- Frequency agility: 2x to 16x interpolation and two independent, 32-bit numerically controlled oscillators lower the interface rate and cost of FPGAs while providing flexibility in frequency planning.
- RF sideband image suppression: On-chip calibration of complete RF transmit path suppresses sideband and local oscillator feed-through while driving IQ modulators, such as the new TRF3705.
- Fastest 16-bit DACs available: The DAC34SH84 joins the DAC3484 family, which includes the industry’s next-fastest 16-bit DACs: the quad, 1.25-GSPS DAC3484 and DAC34H84, and the dual, 1.25-GSPS DAC3482. In addition to speed, the family helps designers maximize the power efficiency of their designs.
Tools and support
The DAC34SH84EVM evaluation module can be purchased today for US$499. It includes transformer-coupled IF outputs to evaluate the DAC34SH84 directly.
For complete bits-to-RF transmitter prototyping, the TSW30SH84EVM includes the DAC34SH84 in addition to the TRF3705 IQ modulator; LMK04800 ultra-low jitter clock cleaner; TI power management devices, such as DC/DC converters and low-noise LDOs; and a power amplifier. The TSW30SH84EVM is available today for a suggested retail price of US$499.
For sourcing patterns at high speeds into the DAC34SH84EVM, the new TSW1400EVM pattern generation module, also announced today, features a high-speed, double-data rate LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) output bus that provides 16 bits of data at 1.5 GSPS per bit. When combined with the DAC34SH84EVM or TSW30SH84EVM, the TSW1400EVM enables modulated pattern generation with a large on-board memory while offering a flexible evaluation environment. The TSW1400EVM is available today for a suggested retail price of US$649.
The new TSW1406EVM pattern generation module provides a lower-cost alternative for simple pattern generation up to 1 GSPS per bit. It will be available in March for a suggested retail price of US$99.
An IBIS model to verify board signal integrity requirements is also available.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The DAC34SH84 is sampling now in a small 12-mm x 12-mm BGA package. Production quantities are expected in 2Q 2012 for a suggested retail price of US$78 in 1,000-unit quantities.
TI at Mobile World Congress
Going to Mobile World Congress (MWC)? Visit TI at Booth 8A84 (Hall 8) to hear the latest analog, embedded processing, wireless, and DLP® news. While there, check out a broad range of TI-based demos for the wireless infrastructure and mobile device markets, including the DAC34SH84. For more information and to follow TI’s MWC activities virtually, visit www.ti.com/mwc2012-pr.
Learn more about TI’s data converter portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order DAC34SH84 samples: www.ti.com/dac34sh84s-pr.
- Buy the DAC34SH84EVM: www.ti.com/dac34sh84evmbuy-pr.
- Buy the TSW30SH84EVM: www.ti.com/tsw30sh84evmbuy-pr.
- Download the data sheet: www.ti.com/dac34sh84ds-pr.
- Ask questions, help solve problems in the High Speed Data Converter forum in the TI E2E(TM) Community: www.ti.com/e2ehsdc-pr.
- Follow what our signal chain experts have to say on our E2E blog: www.ti.com/analogwire-pr.
- Download a news release graphic at: www.ti.com/newscenterphotos-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated