Better Optical Switch Technology – ICAP Patent Brokerage Announces for Sale a Patent Portfolio for an Improved Optical Switch – Smaller, Less Expensive, and Able to Steer Light in Two Angles
LOS ANGELES, Feb. 23, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — ICAP Patent Brokerage, a division of ICAP plc and the world’s largest intellectual property brokerage firm and organizer of ICAP Ocean Tomo Auctions, is offering for sale a patent portfolio disclosing an improved optical switch from Herzel Laor.
Key Characteristics & Benefits
This portfolio discloses advanced optical switch technology with numerous advantages over current optical switching devices.
- The disclosed optical switch includes a moveable mirror or lens that reflects a light beam from an optical input to a selected point on another moveable mirror or lens.
- The latter mirror or lens further reflects the light beam to an optical output.
- A mechanism controls the rotation of the mirror or lens about the pivot axes.
- Focusing components maximize optical focusing and optimize optical transmissions.
- This invention discloses actuator configurations, optical cross connect (“OXC”) configurations and alignment or servo systems.
- A beam steering unit has a movable optical element attached to a rotatable frame.
- The frame and optical element are moved in two angles, so that a transmission beam can be steerable in two directions to create a three degree (3D) OXC.
- Further, an optical cross connect includes modular units comprising beam steering units and beam generating units interconnected with fiber.
- This disclosed invention provides efficient actuating and improves optical transmission.
Companies who have cited this patent portfolio include:
PTS Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., Symbol Tech-nologies Inc., Tellabs Operations Inc., Schleifring und Apparatebau Gmbh, New Scale Technologies Inc., Lockheed Martin Corporation, Iolon Inc., and Lucent Technologies Inc.
This technology has important applications in the manufacture and operation of:
- Optical storage devices
- Optical communication components
About ICAP Patent Brokerage
ICAP Patent Brokerage, a division of ICAP plc and the world’s largest intellectual property brokerage and patent auction firm.
ICAP is the world’s leading interdealer broker and provider of post trade services. The Group matches buyers and sellers in the wholesale markets in interest rates, credit, commodities, foreign exchange, emerging markets, equities and equity derivatives through voice and electronic networks. ICAP plc was added to the FTSE 100 Index on 30 June 2006. For more information go to www.icap.com.
SOURCE ICAP Patent Brokerage