Synology Announces the Official Release of DiskStation Manager 4.0
BELLEVUE, Wash., March 6, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Synology America Corp. today is proud to announce the public launch of DiskStation Manager (DSM) 4.0. This marks the end of Synology’s most successful beta program to date, with over 79,000 downloads. The newest version of Synology’s renowned NAS operating system makes it even easier for users to take control of both their data, and their own personal cloud.
Cloud Station brings real-time personal cloud synchronization with no recurring fees. The new app allows users to easily sync their files between their PCs and their DiskStation, even on the go. QuickConnect allows users to take advantage of this with no port forwarding required. As the data resides on the DiskStation, users can retain control of their data and their capacity. A Mac client is already in the works which will give the same tools to OS X users.
DSM 4.0 offers an improved Package Center, allowing users to find and install applications with just one click. As more apps have become unhooked from the DSM, users and administrators can select only the services they want to be installed.
DSM 4.0 has comprehensive iSCSI support to allow virtual network users to get the most out of their investments. Synology has even included integrated LUN backup software at no additional charge, making for significant savings.
“We are extremely proud to announce the public release of DSM 4.0,” said Doug Self, Product Marketing Manager at Synology America Corp. “As a free upgrade, this adds a lot of additional value for existing customers, whether they are business or home users.”
DSM 4.0 adds a number of business-friendly features:
- Improved ADS/ACL support – Edit and audit ACLs from within DSM
- Improved notification system – Users can select which events will notify and which methods will be used (email, SMS, instant messaging, and even push notifications)
- VPN client – The DiskStation can now act as a VPN server or client
- VLAN support – DiskStations can now work over VLAN segments
- DHCP server
- Scheduled SMART scans
- LUN backup software
There are many improvements for home and SOHO users:
- Antivirus Essential – Included antivirus software
- Improved Apple support – added support for Airport Express/Extreme and integration with iCloud saves time in configuration
- Enhanced mobile support – updated apps for iOS, Android (including tablets), and Amazon Kindle Fire
- Cloud Station and QuickConnect – for easy file synchronization
- Improved Package Center
Synology DSM 4.0 is free for all users with a DiskStation x08 series and newer.
See what all DSM 4.0 has to offer here:
Founded in April of 2000, Synology Inc. is a leader in next-generation Network Attached Storage (NAS) servers for the home and small- to medium-sized business markets. Specializing in both hardware and software for network attached storage devices, Synology products are feature-rich, easy-to-use, energy-efficient, reliable and affordable. All Synology product investments are enhanced with product warranties, free software upgrades and 24/7 online support. Visit http://www.synology.com for more information.
Synology has a global presence with regional offices in the US (Bellevue, Washington), the UK (London, England), Germany (Duesseldorf) and Taiwan (Taipei).
Synology America Corp.
SOURCE Synology America Corp.