May 23, 2012
Mix Beats With iRig MIX
Derek Walter for RedOrbit.com
Those looking to show off their DJ skills and start mixing beats can now do so from their iPhone or iPad.The latest in the iRig series of music mixing hardware can be paired with one of several free apps for a DJ experience that may appeal to amateurs as well as professionals. The newest piece ups the ante in terms of music creation capabilities from an iOS device.
The device isn´t cheap, as it retails for $99.99 (a Google search revealed some devices selling for slightly lower prices). Yet it has a strong array of features that will enable music fans or aspiring DJs to try their skills.
iRig MIX users can access up to four free apps from the company for creating music. DJ Rig blends nicely with the MIX hardware for splicing up musical tracks. AmpliTube is for those looking for a guitar and amp application. VocaLive is, as the name implies, for vocalists who wish to tinker with their voice while using the iRig MIX. GrooveMaker is also worth checking out, as it is a loop-based beat and groove-making app.
Most impressive is that you can hook up two iPads or iPhones to the iRig MIX, creating a virtual two turntables (microphone sold separately).
Most of the commands on both the hardware and iOS apps can be figured out with a little bit of play time. Mastering sound manipulation and experimenting with bass, treble, and other components will certainly be put to better use by those with more experience.
Can iRig replace a full-blown “rig” of DJ equipment? Perhaps, for those who are new to the craft, performing at smaller venues or do the DJ thing as more of a hobby. It could also be a gateway to learning how to mix up music. With enough success, it could serve as the launching pad for higher capability equipment.
An official list of the iRig MIX features:
- two stereo inputs with gain, bass, treble and volume controls, independent cue on each channel with LED indication and channel crossfader
- Instrument/microphone extra input, with volume control, can be processed by iOS real-time effects apps (such as AmpliTube, VocaLive)
- Stereo output with RCA connectors, master level and LED meters
- High quality, pristine sound
- Quality headphone output for master or cue monitoring with independent volume control
- Input switch splits Input 1 into dual-mono for use with DJ mixing apps on a single iOS device
- “X-Sync” mode allows auto-sync with any audio source using the included DJ Rig free app
- Can be powered with the included AC adapter, battery pack and laptop USB ports
- Includes 4 free apps: DJ Rig, AmpliTube, VocaLive, GrooveMaker