Collective Intelligence, the Engine of Panda Security Cloud Security Solutions, Celebrates Five Years on the Market
ORLANDO, Fla., May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Panda Security, The Cloud Security Company, is celebrating the fifth anniversary of the launch of Collective Intelligence, its cloud security system which automatically detects, scans, classifies and disinfects all new malware received every day at PandaLabs. The system has processed more than 1.7 billion files since its launch five years ago. The Collective Intelligence database currently occupies 25.2 TB and generates 500 GB of logs every day.
Collective Intelligence launched in 2007, after two years of development, and became the pioneering foundation behind the company’s entire line of cloud-based protection solutions. As the first company to bring cloud-based security solutions to the market, this widely-acclaimed protection model has led the way for the rest of the industry. Since its launch, it has provided users with key benefits including investment costs reduced by 50 percent, reduced local server and desktop resource consumption, and greater overall protection in real-time.
Every day, Collective Intelligence receives more than 3 billion data requests from users of Panda solutions and processes more than 150,000 new files to determine whether or not they are malware. Currently, approximately 73,000 new, unique strains of malware appear every day. According to the PandaLabs Q1 Report, this malware avalanche has elevated the average number of infected PCs across the globe to 35.51 percent, with China leading the ranking of most affected countries (54.25 percent of infected PCs), followed by Taiwan (47.15 percent) and Turkey (42.75 percent).
Following is a brief look at the events leading to this five-year milestone of Collective Intelligence:
- Panda ActiveScan, scanning from the cloud since 2007.
- For home users, cloud scanning was implemented in the 2008 consumer solutions, and in the first antivirus designed specifically to protect from the cloud, Panda Cloud Antivirus in April 2009.
- For businesses, cloud-based scanning was offered through Panda Cloud Protection in November 2009, delivering protection for the three major infection vectors: servers and desktops with Panda Cloud Office Protection; email with Panda Cloud Email Protection; and Web traffic with Panda Cloud Internet Protection. Additionally, all solutions can be delivered through the SaaS (Security-as-a-Service) model.
For users interested in trying out its security solutions, Panda Security offers free trials of the following products:
- Panda ActiveScan for on-demand scanning and disinfection is available at www.activescan.com.
- Panda Cloud Antivirus (www.cloudantivirus.com) offers permanent protection and was the first free, cloud-based security solution on the market for consumers.
- Panda Cloud Protection for corporate workstations, servers, email and Web traffic. Free trials are available from http://cloudprotection.pandasecurity.com.
Since 1990, PandaLabs, Panda Security’s malware research laboratory, has been working to detect and classify malware in order to protect consumers and companies against new Internet threats. To do so, PandaLabs uses Collective Intelligence, a cloud-based proprietary system that leverages the knowledge gathered from Panda’s user community to automatically detect, analyze and classify the more than 73,000 new malware strains that appear every day. This automated malware classification is complemented through the work of an international team with researchers specialized each in a specific type of malware (viruses, worms, Trojans, spyware and other attacks) to provide global coverage. Get more information about PandaLabs and subscribe to its blog news feed at http://www.pandalabs.com/. Follow Panda on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Panda_Security and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/PandaSecurity.
SOURCE Panda Security