flipflop® and Soles4Souls Announce National “Flip Flop Week”
LIVERMORE, Calif., May 24, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Today the flipflop® brand (www.flipflopwines.com and www.flipfloprum.com), in partnership with international shoe charity Soles4Souls (www.giveshoes.org) announced Flip Flop Week 2012, a week-long series of events from June 11-15 encouraging public participation to highlight the plight of the 1.5 billion people in need of shoes across the globe. To kick off the start of flip flop season, the wine and rum brand aspires to impact as many lives as possible with the gift of shoes.
“By the time June comes around, people are excited to trade in their winter boots and spring galoshes for flip flops and sandals,” said Kevin Goughary, CEO of Soles4Souls. “With the help of flipflop, people will also be just as excited to give these same shoes to those in need. And spreading the word is as easy as slipping on your flip flops.”
Over the course of the week, flipflop and Soles4Souls will be distributing more than 50,000 pairs of new shoes and flip flops in the United States as well as collecting much needed donations through community shoe drives hosted at local retailers. flipflop and S4S will be asking for involvement and encouraging the public to spread awareness by wearing flip flops and sharing their photos via social media.
Locations for shoe donations include Miami, Denver, Chicago, Columbus with the week culminating in New York City on National Flip Flop Day, June 15.
Shoe Donation Schedule:
- Monday, June 11th: Flip Flop Week kicks off in Miami at The Salvation Army on 38th Street from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. http://www.uss.salvationarmy.org/uss/www_uss_miami.nsf
- Tuesday, June 12th: Those in need in the Denver area will receive shoes at The Denver Rescue Mission, 3501 E. 46th Avenue http://www.denverrescuemission.org/ from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Wednesday, June 13th: In Chicago, shoe donations will occur at Clara’s House - http://clarashouse-weuo.org/index.html on 1650 W. 63rd Street from 10:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Thursday, June 14th: Columbus area residents will receive shoes at The Open Shelter, http://www.theopenshelter.org on 61 E. Mound Street from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 15th: Flip Flop Week culminates on “National Flip Flop Day” in New York City, where the shoe giveaway will occur at The Bowery Mission on 227 Bowery Street – http://www.bowery.org/ from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
In conjunction with the week, flipflop will be launching a Facebook promotion where for every photo submitted of fans wearing flip flops, flipflop will donate $1 to Soles4Souls* (*Up to $50,000. Limit one entry per person. Must be 21 or older to enter.) Every photo, every message and every pair of shoes donated will help flipflop and Soles4Souls continue to help people around the world! For more information about how to get involved visit www.flipflopweek.com.
Soles4Souls collects new shoes to give relief to the victims of abject suffering and collects used shoes to support micro-enterprise efforts to eradicate poverty. Soles4Souls’ other two divisions, Clothes4Souls and Hope4Souls, provide the same relief and support through clothing and other necessities. Donating parties are eligible for tax advantages. Visit giveshoes.org , clothes4souls.org , or hope4souls.org for more information.
About Underdog Wine & Spirits
Underdog Wine & Spirits, an unleashed unit of The Wine Group, is the champion of emerging brands for the new millennium: the “underdogs” of the sometimes stuffy wine and spirits world. We work with domestic and international producers to craft unique adult beverages that are a breed apart. The home of Cupcake, FishEye, flipflop, Big House and Octavin Home Wine Bar, our portfolio includes many of today’s most dynamic growth brands. Visit www.UDWS.com for more information.