TI unveils industry’s most flexible clocking integrated circuit for wired communications systems
DALLAS, Aug. 27, 2012 /PRNewswire/ –Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today introduced the industry’s most flexible and highly integrated clock jitter cleaner/multiplier for use in wired communications and test and measurement applications. The LMK04906 offers three redundant inputs with a holdover feature and seven programmable outputs. This flexibility allows designers to eliminate external components, such as oscillators and clock buffers, significantly reducing their bill of materials (BOM) cost and board space. In addition, with industry-leading RMS jitter of 100 fs and noise floor of -160 dBc/Hz, the LMK040906 can improve signal integrity in high-speed data communications systems. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/clocks-pr.
Key features and benefits of the LMK04906
- Maximum flexibility: Integration of seven high-performance, programmable outputs offered in LVDS, LVPECL and LVCMOS simplifies timing design.
- Integration reduces BOM costs: High integration eliminates the need for the oscillators and clock buffers typically used to implement a low-jitter clock tree. Features such as holdover, input switching, analog/digital delay, and odd/even dividers increase clocking functionality while reducing cost.
- Industry’s lowest jitter and phase noise: 100 fs RMS jitter from 12 kHz to 20 MHz with a noise floor of -160 dBc/Hz at 156.25 MHz output frequency enables greater signal integrity in high-speed data communication links such as 10GbE, FC, FCoE, and SAS/SATA.
In addition, TI introduced the CDCM6208 clock synthesizer and jitter cleaner, which offers similar integration and flexibility for wireless base stations, pico and femto cells, line cards and handheld medical equipment. The CDCM6208 provides eight low-jitter clock outputs, pin-control mode, flexible output voltages, and a fractional divider. For more information and to order samples, visit www.ti.com/cdcm6208-pr.
The LMK04906 and CDCM6208 can be combined with the following devices to create a high-speed data link: TMS320C66x KeyStone Multicore DSP, LMK00301 3-GHz differential fanout buffer, LMK03806 clock generator with 14 outputs, DS100DF410 10GbE quad-channel retimer, LP3878-ADJ 800-mA low-noise LDO regulator, and TLK10002 dual-channel 10-Gbps multi-rate transceiver.
Tools and support
TI’s clock design tool supports the LMK04906, aiding designers with part selection, loop filter design and simulation of timing device solutions. The LMK04906 evaluation module (EVM) and IBIS model are available today. Two CDCM6208 EVMs, EVM control GUI, and IBIS model are also available today.
Engineers designing with either the LMK04906 or CDCM6208 can also ask questions and get answers from TI experts in the TI E2E(TM) Community Clocks & Timers Forum.
Availability, packaging and pricing
The LMK04906 is available today in a 64-pin, 9-mm x 9-mm QFN package for a suggested retail price of US$6.49 in 1,000-unit quantities. The CDCM6208 is available today in a 48-pin, 7-mm x 7-mm package for a suggested retail price of US$6.50 in 1,000-unit quantities.
Learn more about TI’s clocks & timers portfolio by visiting the links below:
- Order LMK04906 samples, IBIS models and EVMs: www.ti.com/lmk04906samples-pr.
- Order CDCM6208 samples, IBIS models and EVMs: www.ti.com/cdcm6208samples-pr.
- View an optical line card system block diagram: www.ti.com/linecard-pr.
- View an Ethernet switch system block diagram: www.ti.com/ethernetswitch-pr.
- View an optical networking EPON system block diagram: www.ti.com/optical-pr.
- View a high-speed data acquisition and generation system block diagram: www.ti.com/dataacq-pr.
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments semiconductor innovations help 90,000 customers unlock the possibilities of the world as it could be – smarter, safer, greener, healthier and more fun. Our commitment to building a better future is ingrained in everything we do – from the responsible manufacturing of our semiconductors, to caring for our employees, to giving back inside our communities. This is just the beginning of our story. Learn more at www.ti.com.
TI E2E is a trademark of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated