Broadcom® Launches First 5G WiFi DOCSIS® 3.0 Cable Gateway Platform
AMSTERDAM, Sept. 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — IBC -
- Delivers DOCSIS 3.0-based 16×4 speeds over wireless throughout the home
- Enables cable operators to deliver reliable whole-home coverage
- Allows users to concurrently stream high-bandwidth content to multiple wireless devices
Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry’s first 5G WiFi DOSCIS 3.0 cable gateway platform. By integrating the DOCSIS 3.0 modem with Gigabit wireless connectivity into a complete turnkey solution, Broadcom is enabling cable operators to deliver fast, reliable, whole-home coverage to subscribers. Visit Broadcom.com to learn more.
Digital content consumption is on a steep incline as consumers watch video on more devices and in more places around the home. With this new platform, consumers can reliably stream high quality HD video content concurrently to a variety of wireless devices such as tablets, smartphones, PCs and connected TVs throughout the home. Broadcom will demonstrate the technology at IBC in Amsterdam from September 7-11.
- The Broadcom® BCM3383 DOCSIS 3.0 cable gateway platform coupled with the BCM4360 5G WiFi solution delivers DOCSIS 3.0-based 16×4 speeds over wireless throughout the entire home.
- Advanced 5G WiFi beamforming technology significantly improves wireless coverage and eliminates dead spots in a subscriber’s home, reducing the probability of costly support calls or truck rolls.
- Multi-processor architecture delivers more than 2100 DMIPS. Other main features include:
- Dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi: with simultaneous 2.4 GHz and 5G WiFi WLAN support, BCM3383-based gateways can offer backwards compatibility for existing devices while enabling users to concurrently experience the benefits of high performance 802.11ac technology.
- Full-Band Capture digital tuning technology: integrated on-chip technology directly samples and digitizes the entire 1GHz downstream spectrum of a cable plant, providing access to any channel anywhere.
- Applications processor: expands the capability of the modem and supports advanced applications without impacting the voice and gateway performance.
Broadcom’s 5G WiFi Cable Gateway reference platforms and a complete suite of 5G WiFi client reference platforms are available today. The BCM3383 is available on reference platforms of multiple configurations with total capacity in and out of the home approaching 1Gbps.
For more information on 5G WiFi, visit www.5gwifi.org.
Jay Kirchoff, Broadcom Vice President of Marketing, Cable Broadband
“Broadcom’s 5G WiFi Cable Gateway solution represents a significant advancement in delivering the whole-home coverage needed to support video distribution in the home. Broadcom’s new technology addresses the explosion of video consumption, the increased reliance on wireless networks and the growing number of mobile devices – making the connected digital life faster and more reliable.”
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® and the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. DOCSIS® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Trade Press Investor Relations Dana Brzozkiewicz Chris Zegarelli Public Relations Manager Senior Director, Investor Relations 949-926-6367 949-926-7567 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband