iDirect And Pike Research Release White Paper On The Role Of Satellite Communications In Smart Meter Backhaul
HERNDON, Va., Sept. 10, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — VT iDirect, Inc. (iDirect), a company of VT Systems, Inc. (VT Systems), and Pike Research, a market research and consulting team that provides in-depth analysis of global clean technology markets, today announced the release of a new white paper on the role of satellite communications for smart meter backhaul in the utility industry. The report examines the growth of smart meter backhaul communications and how satellite has evolved to meet the challenges of this important segment of the emerging smart grid. iDirect is a world leader in satellite-based IP communications technology.
In the white paper, Bob Gohn, Chief Research Director, highlights multiple areas where IP-based satellite technology offers strong differentiation including: geographic reach, performance, reliability, and security. Additionally, the paper discusses how satellite has become more cost-effective with recent technology innovations that optimize the use of bandwidth and provide higher speed connectivity to meet the growing data demands of the energy and utility market.
Among the key items highlighted in the Pike Research paper were the following:
- Pike Research estimates that over 50 million smart meters will be deployed in North America by the end of 2012, with as many as four times this number installed across the rest of the world. By 2020, smart meters are expected to make up nearly 70% of North American electricity meters.
- Satellite’s geographic reach makes it suitable choice for AMI backhaul and Distribution Automation (DA) deployments, which represent the most ubiquitous smart grid applications across a utility’s service territory.
- With a roundtrip latency of 600 milliseconds, satellite connectivity offers a viable solution for the majority of AMI and DA applications and compares favorably with mesh technologies used within the smart grid.
- Newer satellite technologies such as the Digital Video Broadcasting Standard (DVB-S2), adaptive coding and modulation (ACM), and advanced forward error correction schemes enable highly reliable communications in all kinds of weather.
- Private satellite networks offer robust security benefits, including advanced encryption and authentication, alleviating concerns often associated with public cellular networks.
“Thanks to advances in satellite technology, as well as reduced pricing for both the equipment as well as monthly service, satellite communications has emerged as a viable and attractive means of connectivity for many smart grid applications, particularly smart meter backhaul. This information will be especially helpful for utility network designers as they work to maintain coverage across the entirety of their service territory without sacrificing performance.” ~Bob GOHN, Chief Research Director, Pike Research
“As they build out the Smart Grid, utilities are increasingly turning to satellite technology to meet a wide range of communications applications, from SCADA monitoring to smart meter backhaul. iDirect has taken a leading role in educating the utility industry about the benefits of today’s satellite solutions, partnering with Pike Research and other leading institutions to investigate emerging smart grid trends.” ~Toni Lee RUDNICKI, Chief Marketing Officer, iDirect
Pike Research, a part of Navigant Consulting’s global Energy Practice, is a market research and consulting team that provides in-depth analysis of global clean technology markets. The team’s research methodology combines supply-side industry analysis, end-user primary research and demand assessment, and deep examination of technology trends to provide a comprehensive view of these industry sectors.
iDirect, a subsidiary of VT Systems, is a global leader in IP-based satellite communications providing technology that enables our 350+partners to optimize their networks, differentiate and expand their businesses. The iDirect Intelligent Platform(TM) allows our partners to run their entire business operations more efficiently via a single, unified IP-based satellite architecture, whether it’s providing core IP applications to the enterprise or specialized services to any number of diverse vertical markets. iDirect is the #1 name in global satellite communications in key industries including maritime, military/government, and oil and gas, with a 62% hub market share and more than a quarter million remotes installed worldwide. In 2007, iDirect Government Technologies (iGT) was formed to drive adoption of its IP-based solutions in the U.S. government market. In 2008, iDirect Asia Pte Ltd was established in Singapore to enhance its value-add and responsiveness to customers in the Asia Pacific region. For more information please visit www.idirect.net.