Broadcom Introduces Industry’s Lowest Power Octal 10GbE PHY
IRVINE, Calif., Sept. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ —
- Industry’s lowest power Octal 10GbE/Dual 40GbE PHY
- Comprehensive PHY features simplify board design
- Extends Broadcom’s industry-leading portfolio of 10GbE and 40GbE PHYs
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced the industry’s lowest power octal 10 Gigabit Ethernet (GbE), dual 40GbE physical layer transceiver (PHY). Designed for high-density data center applications, the BCM84328 PHY delivers comprehensive PHY functionality while simplifying board design for server and network equipment manufacturers. Visit Broadcom.com to learn more.
Next generation networks demand higher density and bandwidth for data transmission. The BCM84328 delivers robust features and lowers system costs by integrating optical module control functionality that typically reside in field programmable gate arrays (FPGAs). Broadcom’s new Octal 10GbE/Dual 40GbE BCM84328 PHY optimizes high-speed performance at the lowest power consumption in the industry – 300mW per full duplex10GbE port.(1)
The BCM84328 delivers comprehensive PHY features such as line and system high-speed equalization to drive SFP+, QSFP+, or KR interfaces, PRBS pattern generators and checkers, loopback functionality, and on-chip AC coupling capacitors to satisfy requirements for higher density switch and server configurations. The BCM84328 extends Broadcom’s industry-leading portfolio of 10GbE and 40GbE solutions for data center and enterprise networks – the broadest in the industry.
- Data center 10GE ports projected to grow at a CAGR of 40 percent from 2012 – 2016(2)
- 40GE ports projected to grow at a CAGR of 130 percent from 2012 – 2016(2)
- The industry is moving to higher density switch and server configurations with requirements for lower power and lower latency of front panel Ethernet ports
- Top of rack for 10GbE SFP+, 40GbE QSFP+ and backplane applications
- On-chip IEEE CL85 auto transmitter tuning for optimal performance over 10GBASE-CR4 copper cables
- Superior adaptive equalizer technology drive copper KR/KR4 backplanes and CR/CR4 cables on both line and system interfaces
- On-chip AC coupling capacitors drive down costs and improve signal integrity at higher speeds
The BCM84328 device is now sampling with production volume scheduled for second half of 2012.
Lorenzo Longo, Broadcom Vice President & General Manager, HSIP
“The BCM84328 delivers high-speed performance at the lowest power consumption in the industry to meet requirements for high-density data center applications. Offering comprehensive PHY functionality resulting in a simplified board design, Broadcom is enabling customers to meet demands for high-speed Ethernet networking and lower power consumption while speeding time-to-market.”
(1) Compared to previous generation devices
(2) Dell’Oro, Ethernet Switch Forecast, May 2012
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry’s broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything®, the Connecting everything logo are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Contacts -------- Press Investors Ellen Healy Chris Zegarelli Manager, Public Relations Senior Director, Investor Relations 408-922-7890 949-926-7567 firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Infrastructure & Networking