Wayfair.com Debunks Thanksgiving and Black Friday Myths with Holiday Survey
BOSTON, Oct. 22, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — Wayfair.com, the largest online retailer of home furnishings, today debunks several Thanksgiving and Black Friday myths with the release of its Home for the Holidays survey results. Toppling some pervasive and long-standing beliefs about turkey day and Black Friday shopping, Wayfair.com sets the record straight on the following five holiday myths:
Myth #1 -No love for in-laws
Truth - In-laws aren’t outlaws
Wayfair.com is happy to report that almost 70% of people enjoy spending time with their in-laws on Thanksgiving. The other 30% of survey respondents would rather do just about anything else – whether that be washing the Thanksgiving Day dishes, going to work or standing in Black Friday lines.
Myth #2 – Mall madness a must for Black Friday deals
Truth – Deal seekers go online, ditch the long lines
Whether dodging the in-laws or not, the majority of people will shop online this Black Friday and avoid the lines and crowds altogether. Of the more than 1,200 people surveyed by Wayfair.com, 63% expressed plans to shop on the day after Thanksgiving with 80% of those people planning to shop exclusively online. Only 20% of survey respondents plan to visit malls or big box retailers on Black Friday.
“Last year, we experienced record sales on the day after Thanksgiving, second only to Cyber Monday,” said Niraj Shah, CEO of Wayfair.com. “Online shopping offers superior customer service coupled with the same or better deals and discounts that are promoted by brick and mortar retailers. There’s no need to fight for parking spots and stand in long lines to score the hottest products and best deals on Black Friday especially with trusted online retailers offering free shipping and no-hassle returns.”
Myth #3 -Couch is king on Thanksgiving Day
Truth – Sweet potatoes trump couch potatoes
Whether families are enjoying their in-laws or gearing up for Black Friday deals, Wayfair.com found that the majority of people surveyed will spend less than two hours on the couch this Thanksgiving. Thirty percent of people will not spend any time at all on the couch instead they will be in the kitchen most of the day. Of those folks on the couch, only 15% will spend more than four hours there.
Myth #4 – Fry, baby, fry
Truth - Oven-roasted rules
One third of this year’s Thanksgiving gatherings will include more than 10 people around the table with more than 80% of dinners featuring oven roasted turkey as the main entree. For side dishes, stuffing and mashed potatoes are coming in as perennial favorites with both dishes running out first on most tables. Only 5% of people plan to deep fry their turkeys this year.
Myth #5 – Your neighbors love the inflatable snow globe on your front lawn
Truth – If you can inflate it, your neighbors hate it!
Wayfair.com found that more than 25% of people plan to decorate their homes for the holidays on the day after Thanksgiving causing one in four neighbors to feel anxious or even annoyed about keeping up with the Joneses. However, inflatable yard decor takes the cake as the worst holiday decorating offense according to the majority of survey respondents.
Wayfair LLC is the parent company for Wayfair.com, which offers a zillion things home – the largest catalog of home items anywhere, crossing all styles and budgets, and offering 5,000+ brands of furniture, lighting, cookware and more. With this massive selection of more than five million products, chances are great that people can find just the right items for their home. Other sites under the Wayfair umbrella include AllModern.com, JossAndMain.com, Wayfair.co.uk, Wayfair.de, Wayfair.com.au, and AllModern.co.uk.
Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts, Wayfair employs more than 1000 people and was recently named one of the top 25 best technology companies to work for in 2012 by Business Insider. Wayfair operates distribution centers in Ogden, Utah, and Hebron, Kentucky, and international offices in Galway, Ireland, London, Berlin and Sydney. For more information, please visit www.wayfair.com, or follow us at https://www.facebook.com/wayfair or at https://twitter.com/wayfair.